Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi! If you are in Oregon and have been successfully registered your child for PSAT8/9 as above grade test, would you mind dropping me a PM on how to arrange it?

All the resources I know of to look are talent search programs outside of the states and they all offer the test out of state as well. Do we really have to travel out of state for this test?? Sometimes I feel like I am living in the gifted education wasteland here. Thank you!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Update: I cannot find any test center in OR for NUMATS, TIP, or CTY, for PSAT8/9. How did anyone reside in OR managed to do it???

P
    P
    Originally Posted by tigerhog
    Update: I cannot find any test center in OR for NUMATS, TIP, or CTY, for PSAT8/9. How did anyone reside in OR managed to do it???

Try this page on the College Board website. It lets you search for a place conducting the exam and then you have to contact the school.
    https://ordering.collegeboard.org/testordering/publicSearchCont

I got there via the homeschooling page.
    https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9/taking-the-test/home-schooled

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks philly103 for the links! I will reach out to the local schools.

W
    W
    It was a pain when I tried to do it. It was really hard to find any school that would let an outside student take it.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Wren
    It was a pain when I tried to do it. It was really hard to find any school that would let an outside student take it.

Quite right. No luck so far. Also, none of those I contacted actually offer the January/February tests. Why does Oregon have to be such a gifted ed black hole I have no clue.

A
    A
    Our district (in Washington) doesn't offer the PSAT 8/9 and I never did find any local schools that would let my kids sit with them. I gave up and eventually talked our school district arranging to let DD sit the SATs here in 6th grade. I heard a local parent up here maybe talked her school district into considering offering PSAT 8/9 for one of the talent searches, but I don't think they'll do it this fall. Like maybe in the spring or next year, if it happens at all.

N
    N
    I don't know how old your child is tigerhog, but anyone can sign up for the SAT (or ACT). If a child is below the age of 10, perhaps the College Board might question that child taking the test (mainly because young kids could have distracting behaviors in the test room).

The PSAT is a different matter, and it could be tough to find a school with a seat. But you can sign up a child under 13 on the paper form for the SAT. I would ask my local high school for the form - they should have them. If local schools claim they don't have them, then I would contact the College Board.

My kids have had reasons why they took some of these tests at schools other than their school, and no one questions it (nor should they). Just fill out the paper form, and make sure you put down the correct facility/school where you want to take the test.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you Aufilia and NotSoGifted! We sort of gave up the idea of taking PSAT8/9. As for SAT/ACT, I think my kiddo will be more prepared by high school. There was no academic support for her through elementary. And I suspect SAT is one of those test one *cannot* go in cold. smile

Fixed the typos.

Last edited by tigerhog; 10/13/19 10:31 AM.
    J
    J
    Don’t. Other looking for a paper copy. You won’t likely find it. I did find one copy at yeshive (because religious Jews) need to file it in paper. It cannot he downloaded. You will have to call College Board and wait for them to ship by mule. I have waiting 3 weeks for 5-7 day delivery. No other high school called me back and the highest level gifted school near us did not have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM