Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Not sure if this is relevant, as DD did not apply to tech-focused schools like the ones your son is looking at, but she didn’t encounter any schools that had a problem with her SAT2s done at the end of freshman year and sophomore year.

I think if he is applying to a specific program I would contact them and ask directly. It sounds like they might use them for placement, which seems a bit strange. Most places DD looked used AP scores and their own internal placement exams for math, sciences and foreign language. The only time anyone cared about an SAT 2 result was a freshman honors science class DD applied for, where it was part of the data they asked about (though there was still a departmental placement exam for that as well).

I know some kids do repeat SAT2s, though usually just to improve the score- it’s do-able, but it would certainly be frustrating.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    And remember that the French AP exam will fulfill the foreign language requirement at a lot more schools than the Subject test.

What is the difference in the foreign language requirement between a SAT subject test and AP? Is it particular to the school?

C
    C
    Yes. We didn’t look too hard at this, because DD has both strong SAT2 and AP score. But it varies a lot by school. For her choices, AP was the data point most used, but as I mentioned, there were also department-specific tests in places too, and often either/or seemed ok.

Where DD ended up, there was no credit given, though, just placing out of required classes (foreign language) or placing higher in a sequence or into honors (sciences) or compacted/accelerated classes (math). Though the more she talks with friends at different colleges, I suspect her college is particularly picky on this; as I mentioned, we know several kids who had similar hs coursework who matriculated as sophomore. The foreign language thing varies a lot, too- her college places a lot of emphasis on foreign language competency, so it’s not that common to completely place out, the bar is relatively high. And they don’t accept things like Latin, or computer science as a foreign language, as I have read some places do.

M
    M
    I would hope with his continued math learning his scores would be honored.

Thanks for posting this. It gives me a peek through the window of things to come.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    My eldest son, now a rising senior, is looking at the testing requirements of specific colleges. We are surprised that Carnegie Mellon discounts SAT subject test scores from before 11th grade:

Carnegie Mellon requires either the SAT Test or ACT Test from every applicant. SAT Subject Test results are recommended for various programs, see the chart below for details.

We believe that college admission testing in the 9th and 10th grades adds to the anxiety of a process that students will not encounter for several years. As a result, we’re generally not in favor of any 9th or 10th grade SAT Subject Tests. While they may measure subject knowledge at the time the tests are taken, that level of knowledge degrades over time and doesn’t remain representative of the subject knowledge students bring to college freshman level courses. Should students present subject tests taken two or more years in advance of their freshman experience, we have to take the timing of the test result into consideration. The greater the amount of time prior to the freshman year, the less we can rely on the test result as a fair representation of their knowledge entering freshman level courses.
    I wonder how many other colleges prefer subject tests from 11th or 12th grade. My son earned a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam in 10th grade and took multivariable calculus this year as a junior. Next year he will take discrete math, differential equations or linear algebra. I hope CMU is not too inflexible regarding SAT subject test dates.

A
    A
    I wonder if colleges would look more favorably on college credits taken before 11th grade? DD13 (8th grade) is currently taking 2 "College in the High School" classes which she may or may not be able to get credit for from our local community college. But all things being equal, she'd have 10 credits this year, 10 next, and 10 the year after, then be able to access "real" dual enrollment in 11th and 12th.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I hope CMU is not too inflexible regarding SAT subject test dates.
    Someone from CMU told me that as long as he has SAT scores from 11th or 12th grade, having SAT Subject scores in math from 10th grade or earlier is not a problem.

W
    W
    Bostonian, are you creating a grid to figure out who accepts what for your EA choice? Just curious at your approach to figuring out what is the best option for EA.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM