Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246083 09/17/19 12:05 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I've only posted once before��but my son is 5 and in kindergarten at our local public school. He's about 1 month into the school year. There are a lot of reasons I think my son may be gifted, but I haven't had him tested.

He has been getting in trouble at school for poking, hitting, punching, pushing at school. I get a maybe 2 notes home from school about something like this each week.

For the first few weeks of school, the teacher would send home weekly behavior reports. These basically boiled down to him doing great academically (focused, completed work, good quality work) and having poor behavior (hitting/poking/etc, choosing not to follow directions, not making safe choices). The teacher tells us that the poor behavior happens when he's not doing academic work - walking in line, at recess, at gym.

The math and reading at school are below his abilities. But, the handwriting lessons are perfect for him at this moment (thank goodness for that!)

He also seems to struggle with the other kids, his same-age peers. He just seems annoyed by them. He will tell me that he doesn't want to be their friends. He wants to be friends with the adults who tell the kids what to do.

We had similar issues with preschool. He's a bit more mature now. But, obviously he can't go around hurting others.

I'm feel sort of stuck and confused. Since you are all parents of gifted kids��

Is a behavioral issue like this common for gifted kids? Has anyone else gone through this? What can be done to make the situation better?

Or maybe he's having some sort of additional behavioral issue that I'm not tuned into?

I
    I
    This appears to be a duplicate post. Linking to the post with responses, here.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM