Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (WAIDWorR), 0 Guests and 262 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    cmh, bethanyc3, SageC, AmandaParkinson, yp44
    10657 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Topic Options
    #245922 - 08/21/19 08:45 AM Volunteer Opportunities for 2e Kids
    ASVA Offline

Hi,
    My DS13 is going to be a freshman in high school. In our county, high school kids are required to have service hours and do volunteer work.
    I'm wondering if you know any good volunteer opportunities for 2e kids.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by ASVA (08/21/19 08:45 AM)

#245923 - 08/21/19 09:14 AM Re: Volunteer Opportunities for 2e Kids [Re: ASVA]
    Portia Offline

We sort food donations (ex: Feeding America), have collected food for local shelters (through Scouts), created school packets for local schools, and do things through our local religious community. Our friends volunteer on Christmas and Thanksgiving as food servers at the food shelter. We also have local organizations which make Christmas boxes, fill backpacks, and send packages of Halloween candy to deployed military. For those that find comfort with animals, the local Humane Society is always looking for volunteers to help with animals. I think it depends on your child's interests.

If you go through an organization (such as Feeding America), you could let your child organize a drive within his community. That would give some leadership skills. He would not need to train, just arrange the date with the organization, collect interest, then meet at the specific location.

#245924 - 08/21/19 11:06 AM Re: Volunteer Opportunities for 2e Kids [Re: Portia]
    ASVA Offline

Portia,
    Thank you for your insight and suggestions. I think taking care of animal might be a good option for my DS.

#245926 - 08/21/19 03:38 PM Re: Volunteer Opportunities for 2e Kids [Re: ASVA]
    Portia Offline

Sounds good. When I was young, I spent a lot of time in the hospital. The hospital set up a game room. A volunteer would come play games with us or read to the really young ones. This might be too intense for some 2es, but might be a great place to find others as everyone there feels different too.

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    undergrad degree variability
    by Portia
    Yesterday at 05:38 PM
    SAT scores, Intelligence and Achievement
    by Bostonian
    Yesterday at 01:37 PM
    Binet LM
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:33 PM
    Olympiads question