Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I have retested students at around 17 or 18, with access to scores from primary age, and also find that scores can vary a fair amount, in either direction. I had one student rise from being classified as intellectually impaired to solidly average overall (but with a specific learning disability in mathematics/visual spatial, which I speculate was among a list of circumstances interfering with early testability in this student). So a change of about +30 points. I also have seen scores fall from 130+, generally down into no less than the 110s. Typically, those scores start slipping earlier, and have been gradually declining over a decade or more. The nature of decline is often associated with their areas of disability. My ASD students tend to have scores rise gradually. Keep in mind that most of my experience is with students with disabilities, so these anecdotal general observations may not apply as much to GT without a second exceptionality.

I've also retested a couple of GT young adults without disabilities, with early scores in the 145+ range, one of whom came out exactly the same, and another of whom fell to the 130 range (though it should be noted that the first was tested on the same instrument family both times, while the second was initially tested on the SBLM, and later on an edition of the WAIS, so the likelihood of score stability was not as great).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    W
    W
    After wondering which way DD would fall off the balance beam in 7th and 8th grade, due to social pressures and regular adolescent stuff, she chose not to join the party group. But also, she really got into logic puzzles, super applying herself with science and math, curiousity expanding. After watching the Cicada docu she was researching. A lot of little things, but she is choosing the work, rather than the play, which seems to be big at this age. I feel a big exhale. Just wondered what others experienced at this critical age of entering the teens.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM