Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    I am from MA, although I have been down in Atlanta now for 7 years. My older son was going into 3rd when we left. We lived in Medfield, which is known for good public schools. I can tell you it was a lousy experience for my gifted son but we found other school systems the same way so it is not just Medfield. The public school system operates in a box and if you are way behind there is help. If you are way ahead the answer is do nothing and "wait for others to catch up....or why don't you spend class time helping others." Great but in the mean time my kid coasted and suffered. I ended up getting recruited and moving jobs the year he was to enter 3rd grade but we had pulled him out of Medfield and applied him to the Sage School in Sharon/Walpole area. It would have been like a mortgage payment to send him but in our diligence that was the best option. There kids are not limited and many students transition in grades/curriculum as their pace. It is a shame there are not public schools in MA (at least that I was aware of) that did anything what the Sage school does. In GA they do have a few public options for gifted but it only serves about 10% of the demand. Most others if able pay for private school like what Sage offers. There are choices down here that do that. If you don't have to work or can work from home you may consider Home School options. Good luck!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    To my knowledge there is only one remaining true GT substantially separate (replacement) program in MA public schools, and it's on the South Shore, in Brockton. The remaining programs are pull-out enrichment- or in-class differentiation-based, with almost no routine acceleration programs that I could find. (Bedford appears to be an exception, with SSA referenced on their website.)

But there are two public virtual charters, one of which allows for acceleration via placement or (effectively) compacting (TECCA, a Connections Academy school), and has a defined GT track. You'll need some of the same supervision resources as for homeschooling, but not the instructional or curricular ones.

Another approach is to look at average educational attainment at each grade in specific school districts, as in this NYT infographic:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...s-how-your-school-district-compares.html
    Inequity is, of course, the primary topic, but you can also look at these as informative with regard to school district expectations of average, which will tell you how many grade levels above nominal the typical classroom instructional environment falls. This appears to be up to three grade levels above the national average, in some of the highest-achieving districts.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    O
    O
    Just curious if anyone here has had a good experience with private schools in the Boston area? I know there are a few that are aimed at the GT student population, but open to others as well that may have a flexible enough program to meet all students needs.

We are in a good public school in MA, but for various reasons I am not hopeful that it will be a good long term option for our family. I would love to hear about others experiences in any private or public school in MA - especially if it is working well for your family!

Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM