Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (pinewood1), 0 Guests and 243 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Eric Johnson, cmh, bethanyc3, SageC, AmandaParkinson
    10658 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Topic Options
    #245832 - 07/06/19 05:15 AM How to challenge?
    Melissa Offline

My son 12 took mostly advance classes this year and found it very easy. He was put in a math class that was two years ahead which he loved and found challenging. It was the first time I saw him really apply himself. He previous was in private school and homeschooled so never tested for gifted. We had him tested for gifted and he didnít get in. His kbit was 88 needed 90 for further testing. His ktea scores were high but not the 95 percent in every thing that they wanted. His biggest strength seem to be reading. He always scores extremely high in reading comprehension and is extremely well read. He is requesting that I home school him next year so he can do 7 and 8th grade in one year and then go into 9 the following year. Not sure what to do. All I know is the current environment isnít working. He just sits around at school and surfs the internet and isnít learning anything.

#245860 - 07/11/19 10:35 AM Re: How to challenge? [Re: Melissa]
    Portia Offline

Welcome Melissa.
    My apologies about the delayed response. When one is new, it can take a bit for the message to post.

I am not familiar with the tests you mentioned, but others are and can provide some insight.

I wonder how your DS can work several years ahead in classes, yet not test very high. It sounds like he enjoys the challenge when the academics are the right level. Sometimes people have strong strengths with weaker areas that counterbalance and skew testing data. You indicated his testing numbers had variability with his strongest strength in reading. Yet, you also said he is 2 years ahead in math. Do you mind sharing any subtest data? It might provide some insight.

You mentioned the current environment is not working. What is not working? Surfing the internet without learning sounds like a level misfit. What math is he currently taking?

Sorry I have so many more questions for you. There are so many paths available, finding the right one for your family can be a bit of a challenge.

Again, welcome!

#245863 - 07/11/19 03:35 PM Re: How to challenge? [Re: Melissa]
    aeh Offline

Welcome!

There are many possible explanations for the differences in the data you've reported, so yes, having some subtest numbers might help in understanding his profile. For example, the KBIT-2 is composed of a verbal and a nonverbal component, which tend to be roughly predictive of reading/writing/language achievement and math achievement, respectively. You describe relative strengths in reading comprehension, which could mean, hypothetically, that he scored above the cutoff on the verbal portion of the KBIT, but below on the nonverbal, with a combined scored just below the cutoff. Another possibility is that a diverse learning profile wasn't fully captured on the KBIT, as it is considered a brief screening instrument, not a comprehensive measure. Similarly, the KTEA has many different components, some of which are more related to efficiency (e.g., timed fluency tasks) than to high level skills or applications. 95th %ile in everything would exclude quite a few deep, deliberative thinkers, as well as those with extreme focal strengths.

But even if we take the available data at face value, it's also important to recognize that students who just miss the cutoff for formal GT programs are still above average, and may have learning needs for advancement or enrichment not provided in the standard track. From that angle, the most important assessment data to consider are 1) his response to being placed two years up in math, 2) his request to compact 7th and 8th grade through homeschooling, and 3) your observation that the current environment is not effective. It sounds like he and you both experienced homeschooling positively (or he wouldn't be requesting it); if HS'ing is compatible with your family situation next year, that would appear to be a reasonable direction to explore.

Moderator:  M-Moderator, Mark D. 
    Recent Posts
    What did you do with your Pre-K/K child?
    by Alannc44
    05:06 AM
    A Bit Overwhelmed - Just Starting Out
    by Portia
    06:09 PM
    Please help with WISC-V scores and ADHD.
    by aeh
    04:44 PM
    2e? IEP help for 5 year old please
    by polarbear
    03:17 PM
    nonfiction books for middle schooler
    by Platypus101
    04:35 AM
    Davidson Institute Twitter