Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 253 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #24583 09/01/08 07:30 AM
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi All,

I was recommended to have a look at the AoPS website for DS8 today. I let him attempt the pre-test for "Are you Ready:Introduction for Algebra". He got 16 out of 17 correct ( except for 2a). I don't think we can sign him up for the online classes due to time differences (we are in Asia). If I just buy the books, will we be able to reap the full benefits without joining the online classes? I would like to find out more because the books are not cheap. (I am not sure how much they will charge for int'l shipping yet... still waiting for their reply). Thks!

CFK #24606 09/01/08 05:02 PM
    Q
    Q
    S-T, I'm not sure about this, but looking at the CTY catalog this morning, it appear they use the Thinkwell courses. I have no idea if they're any good, but I see them mentioned a lot. Would that help? I'm not sure if CTY allows non-US students, but it's online and appears to be the same thing. This is the course listing: www.cty.jhu.edu/cde/courses.html You can contact them and ask. I am torn on all of these CTY courses. They are all existing courses, but they add the quizzes, tests, and tutors and they end up being very expensive.

Thinkwell is also available now on Homeschool Buyers Co-op: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_epp_offer&Itemid=576

questions #24645 09/02/08 04:28 AM
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thks CFK & questions. smile

I am not a mathy person either and I am not sure if I can teach that kind of level. I am not sure if the AoPS books will appeal to DS enough for him to read them on his own sometimes. He reads and re-reads all his Edward Zaccaro's books but I believe I can't compare these 2 resources which serve different needs?

I had a look at the CTY and EPFG programs and am keeping options open for now. The school *may* be doing something for him (hopeful and excited) and some costs may be covered too.

Thks for the sharing and recommendations and the offer to email to AoPS. I will find out as much info as I can for now b4 the sch comes back to me. I am glad I have found this site. smile

S-T #24828 09/03/08 10:24 PM
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Just to share part of the email reply I received from AoPS w.r.t. international students. smile

"Our classes are open to international students, though for many, the time difference is a difficulty. Students who use the books but not the classes miss the following:

1) The opportunity to work with AoPS instructors and ask them questions about the material,

2) The opportunity to receive feedback on their work, and

3) The opportunity to work with many other outstanding math students.

This said, there are a great many students who use our books without the classes, as the books are designed specifically for high-performing students who are pursuing independent study."

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations