Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello,

In the 90s, I took an adult Wechsler test from an examiner who gave me a number of personality tests as well as the IQ test to see why I wasn't making progress in therapy. It turned out that I have bipolar 1 disorder which was not diagnosed because I get anxious and irritable rather than euphoric during manic episodes.

The test results were confusing. I scored 119 on the performance and 145 on the verbal. I'm not sure that averaging those makes any sense because they are so different, but I was told I have a global IQ of 136 and that is higher than just a straight average because the verbal section counts more.

The tester didn't have a good explanation for the large difference except to say it happens sometimes. I had a hard time keeping up with the performance sections and started crying because I was so nervous. I've since been told that that shouldn't have affected my scores but it should have been noted in the writeup that my feelings could have affected the test results.

So long story short, I don't know whether the gifted label applies to me or not. I have two sisters and they are both smarter than I am, or gifted in ways I'm not. My parents always said that C. "didn't work up to her potential" and K. "is the smart one." I was the one who worked hard and "outperformed my ability." But I'm not sure comparing myself to other people is helpful.

thanks

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Welcome!

First, my best wishes that you are at an overall healthier place in your life these days. Second, you are absolutely correct that comparing yourself to others is minimally productive. You have faced challenges (and drawn on strengths) that are unique to your life journey. Be proud of what you have accomplished, without reference to others' apparent outcomes.

Your profile on testing may be accurate, or it may be a reflection of your emotional state at the time. Or your emotional state may have been exacerbated by an authentic learning difference. Regardless, those results are only the beginning point of your ability. That you worked hard and achieved was your choice, your determination, and your character--all worth more long-term than raw ability.

As to the simpler question of GT: yes, you may use the gifted label, if it has personal value. Your FSIQ is in the moderately gifted range, and your measured VCI is in the HG+ range.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks aeh. I appreciate your reply.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM