Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    DS13 was identified as gifted in second grade for cognitive ability and the gifted program staff shared with his scores he would do well in math and science areas. This year his state testing results dropped having lower scores than his sixth grade state testing. So like regressed from last year? His percentage is still somewhere around 95% for this year but score is lower. Should I be concerned is he just leveling out? His star testing through out the year stayed the same as usual always in the 90%-99% depending on the day they test him. His class was different this year working at their own pace in 7th advanced math. He completed all the curriculum half way through the year so had nothing to do after January. He never had any homework and got an “A” in the class. The teacher said they could not give him anything further because he would go into next years math. Thoughts? I am personally terrible at math and really not sure if I should worry or not. He has always just done his math on his own and has never needed any help. Usually a self learner. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

S
    S

I would not be at all concerned that 6th grade state score was higher than 7th if it were either of my DS, particularly if he's still at a 95. Our state scores can drop by 5% if they miss one question (this is because the scores are reported as percentiles--your state might be different). As you said, depending on the day he might have a different score. Both of my DS math scores on state tests have fluctuated over the years.

I would be concerned that he finished all of the material in 7th grade advanced math by January and the teacher wouldn't give him anything else to do. Does the school already know about this situation? If not, maybe address that with the administration before the next school year and ask what they have in place for next year for students who work at a faster pace. Maybe one teacher is more appropriate than another.

When dealing with the public schools and their limitations as far as budget and curriculum are concerned, the right teacher can make a big difference.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Eskes
    This year his state testing results dropped having lower scores than his sixth grade state testing. So like regressed from last year? His percentage is still somewhere around 95% for this year but score is lower.

What exactly do you mean by "lower scores"?

Also, am I correct in assuming that you mean that his score placed him at the 95th percentile and not that his raw score was 95%?

E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I think it is the standard score. His actual number was lower by like 3-5 points than the previous year was (ex. 555 to 550)so on a graph it shows a drop from the previous year. Percentage went down as well. I hope this makes sense. Prior to this year it has always increased.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My guess is that he's bumping up against the test ceiling, and he made a few more silly errors than normal. Or perhaps the more difficult problems are of a type that he can no longer do intuitively.

P
    P
    Near the ceiling 550 and 555 are basically the same.

I would be worried about the no maths after January but I would think carefully before complaining as the response may be to set limits on how fast the kids can go.

E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you Saritz. Your feedback was helpful.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM