Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My child goes to a charter school that is wonderful in many ways except in supporting gifted learners. I’m considering applying for her to attend a district-run gifted program that my older son will attend next year. However, I won’t have the same qualifications I had for my son because she will be younger and I’m still fighting with our school about various types of testing. Can anyone help me brainstorm about ways I can show her giftedness via a portfolio of tests and work? This particular program has absolute discretion in who they take and they do accept private/charter/public students with varying credentials They have their own test as well.

I know she will have a gifted designation from our school for perfect state achievement scores (twice) but I may not have district certification in time. She has 97-99% NWEA for all tests the last three years. She qualified on SCAT/CTY but she didn’t finish the math although she said it was easy. I could probably have her practice a bit and retest in about six months to try and get “high honors”. It is really unclear to me if just “passing” SCAT is meaningful enough. She takes an accelerated math class at school and is scheduled to Algebra in 7th. She does Beast Academy and likes math. Maybe an online CTY class? She is also a higher reader and reads constantly but has never formally studied vocabulary.

She is a serious dance student, performs in a play 1-2 a year, and was recently awarded a Girl Scout Bronze Award. Easy student. Teachers love her.

Can anyone suggest ways to make herself known to the committee?

Last edited by JudAU; 06/04/19 12:20 PM.
    I
    I
    Have you looked into applying for the Davidson Young Scholars program for your child?

Whether you have or not, reading the application process may provide you with tips about presenting your daughter's achievements to her new school. What's described at the Supplemental Information link may especially insightful.

J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you. I’ll take a look at the suggestions.

Our district doesn’t accept any outside testing for the regular gifted program so we haven’t pursued it. But this special program may I just don’t know if it is worth $2500.

I
    I
    What does the new school's gifted program offer?
    - Does the program provide math 1 year ahead? 2 years ahead?
    - Does the gifted program attempt to provide curriculum at each child's ZPD?
    - How will the gifted program meet her needs?

For continuing growth and development, kids need:
    1) appropriate academic challenge
    2) true peers
    For typical kids, these needs may be met in a general ed classroom, however for children with higher IQ/giftedness, these needs may not be met without intentional effort in providing advanced curriculum, and grouping for instruction with academic/intellectual peers.

Some negatives which may occur when a child is not learning something new every day include these observations or signs that a child is not appropriately challenged.

A
    A
    Work samples: writing, math, art etc.
    School report cards, any merit scholarships, if she is doing an online class (e.g. math), then, a transcript of the grades.
    If she is excelling in extracurricular activities, recommendation letters from coaches.
    Any awards and prizes won in regional or national level contests.

These can give a good idea of what the child is capable of.

J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you. The general gifted classroom is about one year ahead in all areas. This specialty program has the option of two years ahead and 2-3 in math. It is a 6-8 and in 8th they teach Geometry or Algebra II. I have been warned that the advanced math section is primarily “kumon kids” though. Since I know the child In Question prepped extensively at a Korean math school using Beast Academy prior to the test I’m not sure what that means. It is surrounded by a larger middle school where a full 40% of kids are in gifted programs. Needless to say they wield a lot of fun, engaged, competitive teams like Battle of Books, MathCounts etc. lots of smart kids excited about the school.

I
    I
    It sounds like a program that can provide both appropriate academic challenge and intellectual peers. smile

Keep us posted!
    smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM