Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #245625 06/03/19 06:40 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello all,
    In 2015 my daughter, then 10, was tested for giftedness with the WISC-V. Her scores were:
    FSIQ 129
    GAI 134
    VERBAL COMPREHENSION 142
    VISUAL SPATIAL 105
    FLUID REASONING 131
    WORKING MEMORY 110
    PROCESSING SPEED 89 (called her "personal weakness")

We had recently moved to the US from another country where she had attended school in that language and culture. It was felt at the time that she might have had even higher scores without the cultural differences, even though she is bi-lingual. Her Woodcock-Johnson scores also reflected the recent school/cultural change and were not reflective of her knowledge. So, the school denied admitting her to the gifted program.
    She continued to be bored and dissatified with school.
    We had her re-evaluted about a year later and her W-J scores were much higher. After she produced an exceptional research project they finally admitted her to the gifted program. However, there was really little differentiation or support in the regular classroom and nothing much happened in the gifted time 2-3 hours per week. Her disengagement continued to grow, culminating with her refusal this year to attend school. She homeschooled this year. She has always tested in the 98th/99th percentiles on the MAP tests.
    She is now entering high school and I decided to have some testing done to try to address her disengagement and other issues.
    She was tested with the Stanford-Binet with the following results:
    FSIQ 109
    NONVERBAL IQ 100
    VERBAL IQ 117
    ABBREV IQ 106
    FLUID REASONING 109
    KNOWLEDGE 120
    QUANT.REASONING 103
    VISUAL SPATIAL 111
    WORKING MEMORY 97

Needless to say I was astonished at the lower numbers. The test administrator kept trying to convince me that the two test scores were "equivalent". I understand that the different test favor different apptitudes, but I cannot see how the two test scores can be equivalent. Can anyone advise about this?

Additionally, recently she participated in a research study with IQ testing as part of it and scored the following on the WASI-II:
    VERBAL IQ 116
    PERFORMANCE IQ 128
    FSIQ 125

In this case it's strange that her verbal was lower when it has always been her great strength. The other two are a bit lower than the original WISC but generally in line. The fact that she had done this in the research study was the reason she was given the Stanford-Binet.

All thoughts appreciated.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by concernedmom2019
    the gifted program... little differentiation or support in the regular classroom and nothing much happened in the gifted time 2-3 hours per week.
    Unfortunately, this is common in US public schools since the introduction of Common Core and the change to rating/ranking teachers and schools based on reporting equal outcomes for all students; this often involves capping the growth of students at the top.

Originally Posted by concernedmom2019
    WISC-V FSIQ 129, GAI 134...Stanford-Binet FSIQ 109... I cannot see how the two test scores can be equivalent. Can anyone advise about this?
    Measuring IQ is not an exact science like measuring physical elements such as height and weight. Although the scores of various test instruments differ (as summarized on this Hoagies page), each test would indicate the percentile (percent of the population above which the test taker scored).

I'm linking to a recent thread, The story of an unidentified GT child, which I found inspirational and thought you might, too: opportunities can be found to challenge one's self, outside of a gifted program in school.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

As indigo notes, cognitive assessment is not an exact science. It is, however, usually somewhat stable when obtained under reasonably standard conditions. A few notes, though: the structure of the three tests you described is not the same, so the only really comparable measure is the global measures (FSIQ), which are actually quite similar between the earlier WISC-V and the more recent WASI-2. Both of those instruments are in the Wechsler family, and thus more comparable than either is to the SB5. The SB5 has a very different design, where the VIQ and NVIQ each include measures that cut across the WISC-V VC, VSI, FR, and WM indices, and the five factor composites are composed of both verbal and nonverbal measures. This can make it quite challenging to have any kind of coherent comparison between the SB and the Wechslers.

The WASI-2 PIQ is more akin in design to the old WISC-IV PRI, and to the current WAIS-IV PRI, which both mix measures considered VSI and FRI on the WISC-V. Even without factoring in that mixture, the recent WASI-2 PIQ is pretty much identical to the old WISC-V FRI.

So the most notable difference is the drop in VCI from the WISC-V to the WASI-2. At this point, any explanation for this would be rather speculative, but FWIW, I'll offer some of that speculation:

Over the course of four years, quite a lot of influences could have lowered her normative standing, including prolonged disengagement in her own education, which may, for some learners, mean that they are immersing themselves less frequently in challenging text, which can limit growth in vocabulary and higher-level language development.

There are also, of course, the always-possible effects of regression to the mean, where a second measurement of any extreme result would be expected to become less extreme.

Another possibility is that the original postulation that her VCI was an underestimate due to the difference between her experience as a bilingual learner in another country was mistaken; it is not impossible that her education in that previous educational system gave her a higher level of verbal achievement than that obtained by an hypothetical cognitive peer operating in the US educational environment, resulting in artifactually high VCI scores. After four years of (I guess you'd have to say inferior) US education, the inflationary effects of international education have worn off, and this then might be imagined to be her "true" VCI.

Keep in mind that, in all of these scenarios, regardless of the "true" numbers, she is still a very intelligent and capable young person, with outlier instructional needs.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM