Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hoping the hive mind here can give me some ideas.

My 2e DD (14) is doing amazingly well. Like even when I pinch myself I can't believe how well she is doing. But, of course, there's always something. I guess as things get sorted out something that was just part of the mix begins to stand out more as everything else fades away.

Over the years DD has worked so hard and has accomplished so much. 11 diagnoses (basically every possible LD and processing issue) have meant tons of interventions, therapies, work arounds, etc. She is in a school that is perfect for her, recently grade skipped and has assistive technology working in all the right ways. We had an awesome year - no drama, no issues. Then at our IEP meeting earlier this month the SLP said she wanted to get DD "out of her comfort zone" and recommended having her attend a social group at the local high school. DD freaked out at the idea. Total meltdown. No way was she going to EVER attend a social skills group - especially not at the high school. After 4 years in a spec ed school where she was forced to attend mandatory social skills classes that she didn't need all her naturally learned skills were undone - replaced by viewing every interaction through a lens of analyzing and applying an artificial step by step process.

Can anyone share info, resources or experience with Selective Mutism or a similar unwillingness to speak to new people?

I don't think SM fits but it's the closest we've been able to come up with. Early childhood history is about as opposite from typical SM as could be. Early talker, outgoing, no seperation anxiety. As happy go lucky baby and toddler as you can imagine, She is a former extreme extrovert, confident but with articulation issues so reluctant to talk starting in about 4th grade because of frequently not being understood or being treated as cognitively disabled. Processing issues can make some environments tough. Slow processing and auditory processing make it hard to keep up with fast paced conversation among multiple people so she learned to just step back and be an observer.

Now says she "gets butterflies" if has to make social conversation with unfamiliar same age peers. Fine with adults, younger kids or speaking in public. No problem ordering in a restaurant, asking for help in stores, advocating for herself at IEP meetings, etc. but shuts down and can not or will not speak to people her own age if she doesn't know them well.

She has friends but no interest in the teen/tween drama many were going through during middle school so became more of a homebody. Doesn't like social media or spending a lot of time talking on the phone or texting. Happy to spend face to face time with friends and is fully engaged when she does. BUT despite being with basically the same group of kids at camp for the past 5 summers is still reluctant to talk to any of them. She's a musical theater kid but spends rehearsals focused intently and won't interact with the other kids in the cast. If there is an extreme extrovert in the group who breaks through DD's walls she usually allows them in along with any friends the extrovert brings along. She eventually warms up to friends of friends so I think trust is likely a big part of it.

All ideas welcome. TIA for any input.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    First of all, you and she are both doing extremely well to focus on all the ways she is excelling!

Secondly, I think a more helpful diagnostic category to consider would likely be social anxiety (which isn't far off of selective mutism, but I suspect is still a better fit).

She is a strong self-advocate, and, from everything you have shared, has increasingly shown herself to be the person best equipped to make use of diagnostic information about herself (as it should be). She and you might find some of the literature on social anxiety useful in understanding herself and the range of appropriate interventions, even if it doesn't turn out to be a perfect diagnostic fit (NIMH free publication--as a pdf download or order free hardcopy):

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/pub...order-more-than-just-shyness/index.shtml

Or this slightly older, but still excellent, first-person account of a very high-functioning adolescent with social anxiety (free pdf download at the Annenberg site--amazon link to hardcopy follows):
    https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/publication/what-you-must-think-of-me/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=what+you+must+think+of+me

Last edited by aeh; 05/28/19 02:04 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    Sounds more like social anxiety to me and I’m a clinical psychologist IRL.

A
    A
    Sounds like my son who has pragmatic speech disorder.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM