Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 51 of 131 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 130 131
    L
    L
    Enjoyed HK's post and replies! Here is my funny brag:
    After I said no to my dd4 venturing out in snow by herself
    Dd: mom, do you know that in olden days, children used to go out without adults.
    Me: really, what olden days?
    Dd: days when Solomon Grundy was still alive.

OP Offline
    grin LOVE that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DD9 approached me yesterday and informed me that she wants to invent something. This was out of the blue, exciting news, so I asked what she was going to invent and if there was anything I could do to help. She told me she isn't sure what she wants to invent yet, but she has a really good name already picked out for it. (LOL)

She said the invention may have something to do with electricity, water, or light. I asked her what would happen if the name she has pre-chosen didn't really fit the invention after she figures it all out and she informed me she could easily change the suffix if she has to. (LOL again)

DD8 has now joined her in this endeavor, so I can't wait to see what they come up with.

A
    A
    On the invention front, DS2 followed up on his "cleaner gleaner" from last week with a "lighter brighter" last night, which was effectively a dimmer switch. It was fascinating to see him think it through out loud. He was talking about making the room brighter or darker with a button.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    After ds6 picked out a desk for his room today, he quickly asked, " Does this mean I don't have to go back to school?"

Another step closer to convincing dh that homeschool is the way to go.

M
    M
    DD thoroughly enjoyed watching Frozen.

Now she won't stop singing. She makes up broadway-style songs (inspired by Frozen, Sinatra's Christmas songs, and Annie) as she goes about her day.

How do I get her to stop?

Originally Posted by Mana

Now she won't stop singing. She makes up broadway-style songs (inspired by Frozen, Sinatra's Christmas songs, and Annie) as she goes about her day.

LOL. I wouldn't. But then, DW and I recently spent a childless afternoon communicating and narrating our ordinary actions in the style of an opera (and we're not fans of the opera).

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Mana

My DH tries to get me to stop, and I just sing louder ;p lol

I wouldn't try... just maybe... get ear plugs or something. Or move to a different room.

Singing is very very very soothing. Telling someone who needs to sing that they should stop is kinda hurtful (no matter how gentle you are). I'd try the earplugs smile

M
    M
    Dude & CCN,

I was trying to hold out until DD moved on to something else but today, her musical theater performance went on for hours. You'd think that she would get tired of it herself but no, she just keeps on going.

It might indeed time for earplugs or a noise cancellation headset.

L
    L
    Mana, dd4 is much the same way. Singing (operatic renditions) are her favorite form of communication. I say enjoy it. Better yet, join her:)

Here is my funny story: DD declared that she was going to marry a boy (let's call him X) in her class. When I asked why, she replied that he has blue eyes and golden hair. I remarked that those are superficial and do not define a person's character. She immediately said," I know mom. The real reason why I like X is because he has an awesome brain. His amazing brain can solve all kinds of difficult problems." Then she added" Mom, don't tell X. I am going to marry him secretly." "But why?"" Because if I tell X, he might say he doesn't want to marry me and that he wants to marry someone else. Better to not tell him at all." "Yup, agreed! Good thinking"

Page 51 of 131 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM