Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 125 of 131 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 130 131
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    Oh, the navigating! My husband and son are way off-the-charts visual spatial. I have aphantasia (never knew until a discussion in this forum, thank you folks!). Two years later, they are both still seriously freaked out by my inability - and I'll readily admit, I'm often rather jealous of theirs smile

I think that goes both ways. As a visual thinker...

- Give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, you just wasted your breath. I forgot the first turn before you even finished describing the second one.
    - Give me turn-by-turn directions in-transit, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, I'll never find the place again.
    - Give me a chance to look at a map, and not only will I be able to find the place forever, but I'll even be able to ad-lib if there are any obstructions.
    Interesting! By way of contrast, give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time and I plot them on a visual map in my mind. That way, I can refer back to it as I go along.

I love exchanging like this. I actually wish part of this forum were designated just for "chatting" like this. We are in a pretty good place for our DSs right now, so I don't "need" to come on here. And since I don't have that much experience, I can't contribute that much. But I love this sort of stuff and I wish there were more opportunities to just exchange points of view, random thoughts, etc. I am always eager to comment on all posts just to add my two cents' worth/engage in the conversation, but feel like I am too "chatty". I sort of feel like a pest. smile

You're not a pest, you're delightful! smile

Here: I started a virtual patio for us to lounge and chat at. All posters, all OEs, all topics welcome! http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/241292.html#Post241292

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Interesting! By way of contrast, give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time and I plot them on a visual map in my mind. That way, I can refer back to it as I go along.

That's exactly what I do if I already know the roads, because I already know what that map looks like.

Originally Posted by RRD
    I love exchanging like this. I actually wish part of this forum were designated just for "chatting" like this.

Oh, I'd say several areas of the forum are given over to this sort of "chatting," and it indirectly influences our understanding of what giftedness is and how it manifests, so it's not a complete distraction.

A
    A
    DS6 is home sick from school today for the second consecutive day. He's admittedly feeling much better, but it's still best for him to recover at home for today.

Here's a conversation around how the decision was reached.

DS: Am I staying home today? I think it would be a good ideas as a precaution. I don't want to get my classmates sick before the long weekend.

Me: I think that's a good idea.

Later, DS is enjoying his morning bath.

DS (singing): Ferris Bueller....Ferris Bueller!

Me: DS, do you feel like Ferris Bueller today?

DS (shifty eyes): No...

What is to give light must endure burning.
    E
    E
    Aquinas: hopefully the day didn't end with a wrecked sports car. wink

N
    N
    If it's not our children, it's our parents. My 91-year-old father had a hemorrhagic stroke last summer. His physical rehab has been so-so, but his cognitive recovery has been good. He has spent the last 6 months in a rehab facility, three of those on the skilled nursing floor, and he will continue to need that physical care.

His fellow "inmates" as he puts it, are/were high achievers (chemist, opthalmologist, professor, head coach, school board president, and so on), but have been affected by physical and/or cognitive decline greater than my dad's. So now I am trying to convince his facility to let him participate in the activities with the folks on the assisted living floor, because he needs that mental stimulation. I just can't be there every day to discuss the stock market, politics, golf, engineering, history, with him. I bring his computer when I visit, but I hesitate to leave it with him because even before this, we got a call once a week to resolve something he had inadvertently changed, and for security reasons of course.

It's like advocating for my kiddo all over again.

I know this is outside the realm of the topic, but this is the only place where I know you'll understand!

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Oh NotherBen, it must be so tough for your father. Is he able to read at least? If not, would you maybe be able to supply him with audiobooks? They’re very expensive to buy but most public libraries have great selections! All he would need is a basic CD player, so fewer complications and less risk of theft.

N
    N
    He'd fall asleep with podcasts and audiobooks, not to mention he'd need to learn the technology. He's been asking for the newspaper so I do bring that, and he's picked out a book from their large-print library, but his attention span isn't so great. He goes to "joggin' the noggin" and trivia time, but it's things like "name a word that starts with K". Yawn. I try to be there for Jeopardy which is on at 3:30 in our area, which is good as it tends to be between activity and dinner.

The other day he told me that in morning chair exercise, the leader always asks where they should "march" to. He suggested an intersection our city, because he knew his friend--the ophthalmologist in the room next door--was from that neighborhood and he wanted to "get a rise" out of him; that is, perk him up. I'm so glad he's being supportive of his fellow "inmates". Although, because he's not 100%, the intersection he named is really two parallel streets, but hey! close enough, and I know the leader got a kick out of it and was from a nearby neighborhood and so they got to chatting about it.

I'm also going to suggest that they bring in some artwork that is representative of our area, instead of the anonymous hotel-style "art" on the walls. Maybe some local scenery, landmarks, or fine art from our museums. But it's a private company, so I'm sure it's all "corporate approved" frown And I've suggested a local history speaker, in addition to the "travelogue" and art history they sometimes have. I also suggested a poker group for "the guys", but they didn't go for that lol.

One of the fellows leads a Spanish class once or twice a week! I love that!

Last edited by NotherBen; 02/20/18 07:30 PM.
    I
    I
    NotherBen, my heart and thoughts go out to you and your dad. What unnecessary loneliness can be created by the artless and hapless grouping of people... whether students or "inmates." I see all of our futures in your story. Just like kids, our vulnerable gifted elderly populations need appropriate academic challenge, and intellectual peers, in order to thrive.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    The Spanish class sounds great! I'm curious - do high school kids have to log volunteering hours in your area? They do in Ontario, but I have no idea whether it's standard elsewhere. Maybe they could get some high school kids to come read/teach/interact with some of the "inmates"?

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    And a quirky anecdote:

A little while ago, I listened in on DS8, DS6 and a friend who were discussing how far back up the evolutionary chain you'd have to go to hopefully have a given species evolve into a unicorn. DS8 argued you'd in fact have to go right back to the Big Bang instead of somewhere up the chain, since that would surely be the point at which the universe would need to take a turn in order for unicorns to develop their magical powers.

Page 125 of 131 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM