Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ruazkaz
    My understanding is there is no norm for APs as it really depends on your high school. Colleges look at the rigor of which courses you took and how many compared mainly to your high school as that is the main option you have.

Also, I do not think they highly value APs that kids self-study and do well on, instead want to see them take what is offered.

Agree on both counts- this is why schools limit the AP courses they offer, or have rules about how many APs kids can take at one time, or what year. Otherwise the competition would really be insane- I wish they had more limits at our school. As it was, DD did not take even the ‘standard’ number that many of her classmates did, because she wanted to continue with music, but she certainly felt at times that this might have put her at a disadvantage in comparison.

And there are certainly kids who go crazy with the self studying. It seems kind of like a summer job in some circles. But by my observations, it doesn’t seem to confer any advantage, at least from the admissions results, and one wonders if it actually backfires, as these kids tend not to be as involved in activities or the community- it just takes up so much of their time. And at least for us, in most cases the class was the point and where the learning happened, the exam and prep were for the most part an afterthought, though they obviously influenced the content and pace of the class.

I will say that one (questionably meaningful) advantage to having taken lots of APs is that at least for DD, the transition to college work was easy- she has much more free time and much more control of her time, and because of the brutal hs schedule, is excellent at time management.

With regards to GPA competition, I will just say that i think this is just as bad, if not worse than the AP stuff. Our school does not rank kids, to discourage competition, but they do reveal grade distribution. For last year’s graduating class, there were roughly 75 students, out of a total of about 350, who had GPAs of 97 or above. The actual numbers work out to above 20% of the class having an A+ or above average. That’s crazy- they all look the same on paper, all presumably have strong test scores. Hence the intense competition and extracurricular arms race, and the less-than-honest application mess.

C
    C
    All of the colleges we went to said in the admissions process scores on the AP exams are not taken into consideration, just if you took the AP class. So there really is no place to put the scores. So if you are self studying the only impact taking an exam with no class is if you get credit for the class after you are accepted. My son is at a college where he didn’t get many credits (they limit it to twelve hours and don’t take everything) but he wouldn’t have gotten accepted without taking the AP classes.

C
    C
    Yes, same here. I think some kids (?parents) get super-focused on the competition/ numbers game, and miss the point (learning, ideally). The AP people also push those honor designations (like National AP scholar) though I don’t get the sense colleges pay any attention (I may be wrong on this). The kid I mentioned with the extreme number of APs, many self-studied, did not actually get into the college she wanted (though she is attending a perfectly good university). I just don’t think her plan helped in the long run, especially, as you note, many places don’t give much if any credit for APs anyway- though this obviously varies (we also know a couple kids who started at Cornell as sophomores because of AP and DE).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM