Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    KILH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello again, just wanted to post an update on DD following our vision therapy assessment. I think it’s clear she has significant visual processing deficits. I’ll post her scores below, hoping someone on here might have experience of this and have some advice to offer particularly with regards to strategies at school. She will be undertaking vision therapy but I gather only time will tell if it is effective.

The optometrist said it was a testament to her intellect that she managed to perform as she did on the wisc and wiatt. She again demonstrated very good visual memory particularly sequential memory. I was standing behind her as she did these test to allow for comparison and I noticed as I was doing the sequential memory tests I was trying to encode the shapes into language in order to remember them. This strategy only worked so far as I didn’t have time to do this once the sequences became longer than 4 or 5 shapes. D completed this test and I think only got one maybe 2 wrong. I asked her how she managed to memorise them and it appears she captures it as one image so I’m thinking this would be eidetic memory? Additionally at the time I noticed she did better at digits backwards than digits forward. I’m less concerned about auditory memory as I believe once she can keep her eyes still this will improve her listening.

Her scores are:

Developmental Eye Movement Test - unable to complete
    Visual motor integration - 1st percentile
    Jordan’s reversal test - 1st percentile
    Visual memory - 75th percentile
    Visual sequential memory - 91st percentile
    Visual discrimination - < 1st percentile
    Visual form consistency - 2nd percentile
    Visual spatial relationships - < 1st percentile
    Visual figure ground - 5th percentile
    Visual closure - 9th percentile
    Perceptual speed - 3rd percentile
    Spatial relations - 3rd percentile
    Auditory number memory forward - 2nd percentile
    Auditory number memory reversed - 13th percentile

The school have referred us to our local authority Ed psych but that is not going to be a quick process. I’m still wondering about NVLD, does VPD come under the umbrella of NVLD. I read an account by Jess Oppenheimer and his experience with VPD and he mentions that all his other sense became more integrated following vision therapy which may account for some of her other quirks like her dislike for tight clothing!

Again any insight, advice or experience is greatly appreciated.

K
    KILH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you Portia it is reassuring to hear the positive effects VT has had for your son. It was difficult to watch DD struggle so much with some parts of the tests. I couldn’t understand how I had not noticed it before. She has always done so well at school and with sports so there was never any red flags. Looking back though I think there were definite inconsistencies in her school and sports performance which has led to her struggling with her self esteem. I am hoping VT will help with consistency and ultimately her confidence in herself!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM