Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    It's been some time since I last posted, but some matters that have been weighing on me have driven me to post again. I completed my first year of college and am continuing at the same one so I can finish my degree soon. I tried socializing before the pandemic locked things down but nothing worked for long. Even students in the honors college were not interested in academics and simply ignored me. I kept getting straight A's in every upper level course I tried, despite the fact that I had little motivation to study the entire time out of boredom. I was more successful in studying on my own and participating in research, which I will be continuing to do this year. I think it's best if I find a job after college and continue my independent research for fun, but I have so many different interests I don't know where to begin with the job search process. At this point I know I won't be able to do any better with the college situation and hope to invest my time elsewhere instead so it isn't a complete waste. Thanks for the advice so far.

I
    I
    Kudos to you for charting a path to graduation. Sometimes fitting in is about small-talk, reading people, and finding connections in hobbies, pastimes, sports/exercise, nature/camping/hiking... the things that comprise a balanced life and contribute to being a well-rounded person.

Finding a job, and enjoying longevity in a position and/or in a career filled with ever-increasing amounts of responsibility often depend on being able to make a positive connection with a broad variety of people.

Success may not go to those with the highest IQ, the best grades, or even the strongest work ethic, but to those who can build a rapport with myriad others... those who may encourage or inspire or entertain... those who invest themselves in the work at hand and ultimately demonstrate positivity, acceptance, and value for both self and others.

To find your passion, you can challenge yourself beyond what the course grading requires... in extending your study to additional authors, books, etc, you are likely to combat boredom and find a spark of something that truly interests you and lures you to push yourself... out of a sense of enjoyment for the project.

W
    W
    I agree with a lot of what Indigo wrote. Interactions among others, playing the political game helps getting career goals. I have been told that I have the political sense of a cow and even being right, didn't matter. So a choice where you control the work, which doesn't happen immediately. Look at what kinds of things you like. But also try and build your social network. Join some clubs, play tennis, try and be out there. It all helps.
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM