Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Yes, probably as they are partnering with two colleges to allow students to obtain college credit in high school. Also, as far as I am concerned, if he is done with math requirements early and all the math classes he wants to take, that would free up his schedule for other interesting classes or other college level classes, no? To me, getting requirements out of the way early means he has freedom - either to take higher level maths or something else. Right? Or is that not a good or realistic way to look at it? That is how I see it but maybe I am missing something.

N
    N
    That all depends where the college credit is at. My daughter has a medical terms class that gives credit at the CC and Northwestern but not U if I. Taking the AP Calculus rest I have found is more valuable than the multivariable that comes after that. Granted that depends on your attended major.

How does he know that he dislikes Geometry?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    How does he know that he dislikes Geometry?

Where we are and in my son's school district, the study of geometry begins in elementary school and it is integrated into every math course. So he actually has quite a bit of it already. He has dysgraphia and dyspraxia/devlopmental coordination disorder and that makes geometry much more difficult for him with the drawing and the visual spatial elements. He is much more an algebra guy. My younger son on the other hand - neurotypical and moderately gifted is very strong in visual spatial and he seems to love geometry.

F
    F
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    Back to my daughter I believe the junior kids at her school taking BC now were probably more ready for the class this year than my daughter was last year. Again your story may be much different than ours.

Please explain more. DS is in that same program and same trajectory, although he will go to a different high school.

N
    N
    I don’t think the program itself really was the problem. I think she more just done with math. She had no plans on being in engineering or math in college. She was supposed to take multi this year. There is someone at the school that teaches it. I think at your school you have to take senior year at the CC. While there were others in the program the two are taking BC this year. I think it more depends on the interest. I think more my point with the OP is getting ahead in math may not necessarily be beneficial. I know in our area I believe you could get u of I credit for taking multi. Then again if you don’t go to U of I.

spaghetti- in our case we had 7th grade geometry and were done. 8th grade Algebra 2 was at the high school and got high school credit. At our district Frannie could correct me but you need 3 years and one has to be at a 300 level which is Algebra 2. She ended up with 5 in all since computer science principles counted.

F
    F
    Yes, 3 math is correct. DS in 7th, will be at the high school next year for algebra II. He is planning to be a math professor (or a biochemical engineer) so he will need all the math he can get. To get the credit through University of Illinois, the fee is something like $1500!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    1. what are the high school requirements. Our state requires 1 math every year. Even if you take two in 9th grade, you still need to take 3 more.

2. High school geometry is nothing like the elementary school geometry. If it's a good course, you do logical proofs. If not, you learn about the relationship between shapes, and you learn formulas. Way different than elementary because you can use algebra for most of it.

3. Mine did the same path as Nicoledad. Mine wanted to be a writer. But math was a good escape to being with the kids from the higher grades and she learned to love math. Diff Equ in senior year.

4. I have a dysgraphic and was worried about geometry but it was OK. Not the favorite math subject, but enjoyable nonetheless. It's harder to do accommodations for geometry due to limited typing software (latex and efofex) so need to plan ahead for an e -course.

Our high school is not like that. It is credit for certain courses you have to have, not "a math every year," so that is not a problem. If you are done your math requirements - you are done. You can take other math courses, not required, or take college credit classes (partner with two local colleges) or take no math at all. This summer course would enable him to earn his high school credit for geometry. He would move on to getting high school credit for Algebra II next year in 8th if he successfully completes the summer geometry course.

Yes, this summer geometry class is on logical proofs.

And, yes, of course, accommodations are always a problem and especially hard with geometry, which is why getting it out of the way in an 8 week summer course sounds way better to us (him and me) than having to deal with an entire year of honors geometry. This way he has one class only, it's only for 8 weeks, and, then, done. He seems to have very little problem with algebra and accommodations - has a math keyboard and types everything. However, Geometry has always been a pain so I can see the attraction to the 8-week, able-to-focus-only-on-that-one-subject, course.

Last edited by Irena; 04/10/19 07:01 AM.
    N
    N
    I have heard from my daughter in the future in our area Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 will be followed by Geometry effectively pushing Geometry into a High School class

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM