Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #245173 04/02/19 08:53 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DYS DD13 has always had the tiniest handwriting imaginable. She has excellent fine motor skills in all else (wins art awards plus seems to do her Chinese characters well). However, she is facing her first high school finals , and 2 teachers have indicated they are worried how her handwriting will affect her ability to take the tests. Her penmanship is fine if she slows down so I’m not sure what to do with their comments. Her previous 504 did recommend she use a keyboard for school work, but it was related to ADHD issues. Thoughts?

greenlotus #245174 04/03/19 04:02 AM
    P
    P
    I wouldn't disregard advice like this without a strong reason. How does your DD feel about about it? How much of her energy and thought and attention (not just time) goes into keeping her writing legible (enough)? Is she writing with full automaticity or drawing letters as art?

greenlotus #245175 04/03/19 09:22 AM
    A
    A
    Are the teachers recommending a tech accommodation for the exams? If so, what's the downside to accepting it?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Platypus101 #245183 04/04/19 07:04 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    I wouldn't disregard advice like this without a strong reason. How does your DD feel about about it? How much of her energy and thought and attention (not just time) goes into keeping her writing legible (enough)? Is she writing with full automaticity or drawing letters as art?

As we have moved overseas, we have no one nearby who might assess her for handwriting issues. I wonder if there are some websites that might give me a clue as to how to determine this. DD can be fairly cantankerous when I start asking questions so I want to have an idea of what I might say before I interview her.

aquinas #245184 04/04/19 07:05 PM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Are the teachers recommending a tech accommodation for the exams? If so, what's the downside to accepting it?

No, no accommodations mentioned. They just wanted me to know. It's up to me to do all the leg work. There are no downsides to accepting accommodations - I just need something to back up the need.

greenlotus #245186 04/04/19 07:20 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The simplest measure is to look at differences in quality and quantity of verbal expression when handwritten vs typed. Length of product (at it's simplest, word count), average length of sentences (proxy for complexity of sentence structure), complexity and elaboration of ideas. Words per minute. Those are a few of the elements I'd look for. There are a few other reasonably well-validated quantitative measures, but they're a little more laborious to record (e.g., correct/incorrect word sequences).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM