Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 130 of 268 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 267 268
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I just found out from my wife that the homework sheet came home with the teacher's red mark and comments that it was indeed possible, adding the two numbers together for a "solution" based on the assumption that the house, library, and store were all in a straight line, as of course they always are in the real world, or at least in Lineland, and additionally assuming that the library was in the middle.

Two vectors without direction.

Derive the magnitude of the third vector if the sum of the vectors is zero.

Even in a One-D world, there are two possibilities.

In a two-D world, the solution is an infinite set.

This teacher told us at the last TAT meeting that in her opinion, DS was having trouble with word problems, which shocked us. Now I know what she must have meant. sick She also mentioned that he's argued with her on many occasions about being right. I'm proud of him for being strong enough to stick up for himself, and proud/heartsick that he never mentioned this sort of thing to us. With his brand of perfectionism, every unjustified red mark must be like a slap in the face.

I'd fire the teacher for making assumptions and retain your son for asking questions. Good for him.

D
    D
    DD5 drew a picture of the U.S. Capitol Building on the sidewalk with chalk yesterday :-) We live in South Florida; she's never been north of Georgia.

L
    L
    My DS has been writing and illustrating books with a couple of friends at school. I was thrilled with this already, but today he told me that after he and his friends started producing these books, the other kids in the class liked the idea and began to follow suit. Now the teacher has set up a little library in the classroom of all their books.

This made me happy for so many reasons. Despite the fact that he is a very outgoing and fun kid, I have worried about his friendship making because of his SPD (he tends to invade personal space, touch people too often and too hard) so to see him spontaneously working together with a group of friends on a project like this warms my heart. And to see him playing a leadership role in the class and inspiring other kids to be creative too, well that is just fantastic!

L
    L
    Oh for heaven's sakes, lucounu, that is just ridiculous! Sounds like the teacher is the one with the difficulty with word problems. I hope he recognizes that he is right and doesn't take her criticism to heart.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    There's no "Great Big Commiseration Thread" or "Courage in the Face of Grim Adversity Thread"
    Start it, and they will come! But yes, well done him, and I'm sorry he had to deal with the teacher not understanding. Did he put a copy of his diagram in his answer, or simply write that there wasn't enough information? If the latter, this is a teachable moment that when you want to convince someone of something they aren't likely to want to believe, you have to give more detailed arguments than when they will want what you say to be true! (This will stand him in good stead later :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Thanks, people. Yep, the diagram was on the answer sheet.

I wound up submitting scans of three worksheets, including that one, to the TAT team, at the risk of angering his teacher, to show why the current system isn't working. Anyone can make mistakes, but I really think he deserves to be taught math by a person (and preferably one who has somewhat of a feel for math), instead of being parked in front of a computer or just left to do worksheets. No matter who was administering these worksheets, the communication is just too restricted to constitute teaching, nor is he being taught to a curriculum or at the right level.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    My DS has been writing and illustrating books with a couple of friends at school. I was thrilled with this already, but today he told me that after he and his friends started producing these books, the other kids in the class liked the idea and began to follow suit. Now the teacher has set up a little library in the classroom of all their books.
    Awesome story!

U
    U
    Iucounu, while I understand your frustration, we have had many incidents like this, and I think it's important to encourage kids to look for "the answer the teacher wants." Yes, your son is right, and I would tell him that he is right, but I also would have him write the answer the teacher wants. If you wanted to, he could then write in the margin why the question is confusing. There is so much danger of overthinking and then responding "wrong" to poorly written questions with these kids. It's a life skill to know what is actually being asked and at what level--albeit a depressing one. Now, I would agree that his response IS evidence of a child who is thinking at a higher level and who needs more challenge.

U
    U
    p

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/23/23 10:28 PM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Iucounu, while I understand your frustration, we have had many incidents like this, and I think it's important to encourage kids to look for "the answer the teacher wants." Yes, your son is right, and I would tell him that he is right, but I also would have him write the answer the teacher wants. If you wanted to, he could then write in the margin why the question is confusing. There is so much danger of overthinking and then responding "wrong" to poorly written questions with these kids. It's a life skill to know what is actually being asked and at what level--albeit a depressing one. Now, I would agree that his response IS evidence of a child who is thinking at a higher level and who needs more challenge.
    We talked about what the intent of the problem writer must have been, but he still gave the right answer and I think that's best. If this were a computer-graded test that mattered, without any option for "insufficient info" as an answer, I might think it was for the best to intentionally give a wrong answer, but not when a human's supposed to be grading it. If he winds up a person who's sometimes thought to be wrong but can always prove himself right, I'll be happy. I could probably have him work on explaining himself with more than one sentence in addition to a diagram or something, but I'm also hoping these bum questions don't pop up often. (ETA: I guess I could see having him explain "X yards would be a wrong answer, because...", but I can't contemplate him actually giving it as an answer.)

Here, the teacher either doesn't understand how to do math problems very well, or she didn't give it a passing thought despite his answer and diagram, and also may have wanted to mark him wrong to prove a point that he's not infallible and/or not at as high a level as his testing and previous learning suggests.

This shows the problem with having him not actually being taught by a person in my opinion. With a halfway decent math teacher in a class, the teacher would have understood his explanation or asked for more info, and DS would have been able to explain in class as well. I'm not so worried about him missing a life skill here as not being given what everyone else at the school gets-- instruction. I'd feel differently if the teacher, despite not getting it, had asked for more info. And the diagram makes it pretty obvious. (In a different case, he gave the correct answer and the teacher graded him wrong without apparently looking at the answer sheet.)

Page 130 of 268 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM