Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi I would like to thank you all who contribute to this forum. My DD11 was identified as gifted by CoGAT about 3 years ago. Sort of out of the blue for us as she was never one of those straight A students. Anyhow, I have since been trying to get some sense of the test as it didn't give me any information to help me decide what's appropriate for her. Found this site and I have been reading since, although I have to admit most of the topics blew my mind away. She was given additional IQ test and achievement test, and a diagnosis that put her in MG and 2E category.

There is no service at the school but the district has a program for the TAG children where DD qualified. However the program seems to tailor more towards self-motivated individual. I am not able to find more information about the program's support to 2E children. I felt like I am put into a situation where I have to choose between addressing her 1st vs the 2nd E. I know there is no one size fit all solution but what should I consider when making decisions like this?

P
    P
    Both research and personal experience are pretty clear on this point: teach to the gifted side, and provide the supports they need on the challenge side so they can manage the workload.

Of course, these kids are never that simple smile so a couple of extra thoughts. For mine, more complex content is critical to keeping them engaged and motivated enough to work through the pain of their disabilities. This is especially true for my kid with attention and writing issues, as these create barriers to doing just about any kind of work. Nothing sets off his AHDH worse than work that is repetitive or uninteresting but makes high demands on his disabilities: it will take him a million years to complete it.

Another important consideration is, is your TAG program actually a gifted program - i.e. more complex content for kids who think differently? Or is it a high-achievers program, with lots more of the same kind of work, and the expectation that the kids will do it in larger volume, faster and with less help? The former can be magic for 2E his; the latter is less likely to be a good fit.

So my best suggestion is to think about what makes your child happy, excited and engaged, and what kinds of supports she needs, then try to get as much info as you can to figure out which place is more likely to be able to get closer to meeting both those needs.

Be prepared to make a lot of trade offs, and to change schools again as her needs evolve and different trade offs make more sense. I find it helps when I am really honest with myself, too, about what some of those look like: taking lower marks as a consequence of gifted content, for instance, or taking longer to graduate. The more flexible I can be, and the less expectation I have that our path will be straightforward, the easier it is to help my kids work through the curves. I think the is especially true for me, as my own non 2E school experience was so different from my kids.

I
    I
    Welcome!

You've received great info above. Here is another wonderful nugget of wisdom from Platypus101, from an old post:
    the importance of owning one's weaknesses.

Typically, in the US, gifted services may be provided/funded separately from support services for learning disability and/or learning differences, which would be mandated under special ed... although ideally both of these services would be coordinated to provide a positive academic experience for the child.

You may have already read the information at these links, but for convenience here is a brief roundup on the second "e" in "2e" (twice exceptional)... the learning disability/difference or special ed side which may exist in a gifted child's intellectual profile:

- Wrightslaw

- a few ideas on accommodations

- roundup on Executive function
    - - - partial list of EF skills issues
    - - - resources to help a child understand ADHD
    - - - Understood.org - executive function skills
    - - - Wrightslaw - executive function skills
    - - - books to help with EF skills: Smart but Scattered... Late, Lost, and Unprepared (hat tip to aeh)

- similarities between gifted/ASD:
    - - - old post with link to article comparing gifted characteristics and ASD characteristics
    - - - post with checklist comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to BananaGirl)
    - - - post with link to Gifted Resource Center of New England (GRCNE) article comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to Nolepharm)

- 2e newsletter (currently transitioning to: The 2e Resource)

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for the input! These really give me food for thoughts.

Platypus101 my child has very similar challenges as yours. I feel like she is going to implode if I make a wrong move!

My feel about the TAG program is that it is still (almost) a one-size-fit-all approach, meaning it is likely tailored to the middle 50%. It�s probably not the best fit for my MG child. But I doubt anywhere will ever be! I really like the bit about being open minded.

Indigo: Thanks for the many links! More reading for me! smile
    I find requesting support for LD is very difficult as the reason was always �she is not struggling academically�. My child is definitely at the end of a very long line when it comes to LD support need.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by tigerhog
    I am not able to find more information about the program's support to 2E children. I felt like I am put into a situation where I have to choose between addressing her 1st vs the 2nd E. I know there is no one size fit all solution but what should I consider when making decisions like this?

One thing to keep in mind is that there is NO REASON you would find any information about support to 2E children. I've looked at a lot of gifted programs (and briefly taught in one) and this is not the sort of thing you will see advertised. This is in part because it's not the focus of a gifted program, and also because disability services are generally the domain of special education--even if your child is in gifted.

It is illegal to discriminate against a child with a disability by denying them entrance to a gifted program that they otherwise qualify for. And in theory it is illegal to deny special education services to a child just because they qualify for gifted placement. (This last one can be harder with some disabilities and in some states; ask anyone with a stealth dyslexic child if they're getting dyslexia services... sigh.) But you CAN and SHOULD be able to get the same accomodation services within a gifted program that you would get in a non-gifted general education classroom.

I have two 2E kids and IME, you'll most reliably get services for both Es as long as you're on top of what's going on and push for them. But even then, it largely depends on the quality of your special education department, the experience of your administrators, and how lucky you are with classroom teachers. We have had great teachers for exec function within gifted, and lousy ones. We have had great teachers in general ed, and lousy ones. The most important thing is that YOU are educated about giftedness and your child's needs so that you can ensure the school is providing what she needs, even if they don't understand or want to do it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM