Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #244825 02/15/19 05:18 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I just thought I'd post another update even if it's been well over a year since I posted her. It's crazy how quickly time has gone by.

My son is a College sophomore who was diagnosed 2E between freshman & sophomore year of H.S. Thanks to this board for a lot of help. He is mostly doing very very well. He is a CS major and a math minor and getting A's in all his math & CS classes. We did a great job and found a school where he could be challenged yet still do well.

His big struggle is still writing. Writing is a source of anxiety for him. He failed a required writing class last spring. He just didn't turn in the work and didn't realize he could drop with a W. (:o) He is retaking it now and so far it's going better although he never went and asked for help at the writing center.

Outside of school he is now a very mature young man. He has worked as a camp counselor at a wilderness camp for the past two summers and just got his contract for this summer. He lives in an on campus apartment with 5 other young men and is looking for off campus place with them for next year. For a kid who had social anxiety 6th-10th grade he has made HUGE strides.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/15/19 05:19 PM.
    O
    O
    Thank you for the update. That sounds all very positive and definitely those are huge strides! Kudos and please post additional updates!

I
    I
    Great to hear from you again, bluemagic. Thanks for the update. It sounds as though your son is doing well in college, and excellent IRL! Wishing your family continued success, and hoping you'll read/post here again. smile

P
    P
    Thank you bluemagic! I have learned a ton from you, and have often wonder how your son is doing off in college. You continue to give me great hope, and on the really tough days remind me that we're working for the long term here. I'm so glad things are going so well for him (albeit the occasional hiccup). It sounds like he is finding his stride, and his tribe, and growing into the kind of life that will make him happy. I hope he's feeling good about himself and what he's accomplished - and so are you. Thank you for helping me learn from your next-level parent support skills!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So nice to hear from you, and especially to hear good news about your son!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    I'm glad your son is doing well, bluemagic!

M
    M
    It is nice to hear things are going well. I always took the time to read your post. It was like looking through a window of what was heading our way. This one is especially nice.

Keep us posted!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM