Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    CAC0513 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello! My daughter (age 7, 2nd grade) is really bored with school. My concern is that her education is getting off to a lackluster start due to not being challenged. I don't know if I'm worrying about this too early, or if it's the right time to talk to the school about it.

Last year (at age 6) she was tested gifted status and not accepted. Her TTCT score kept her out - her elaboration score was low enough to bring down the average and take her out of the district's required score. I'm not sure if any of the 120 students in her grade tested into gifted - as there is no program in place.

My son is one year ahead of her in school (3rd grade). He never tested for gifted, but was put in accelerated content (or "AC") classes with a great teacher who challenges him in creative ways which started in 2nd grade. I asked if my daughter could be placed in AC classes this year, and was told that there weren't enough qualifying students to form a class in her grade.

This year she took the IOWA and all of the percentile scores were 99th. I understand that doesn't mean she is a gifted learner, but I just know she would benefit from being challenged. I feel frustrated that my children are one year apart and getting such different educations! It's a title I school with a high ESOL population, so I wonder if she were at another school it would be different.

Anyone have any advice for me? I feel really uncomfortable talking to people about it, but hate her feeling that school is so pointless! Thanks so much for the help!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

One bit of perspective to keep in mind is that your DC is in a very small pool of grade-peers. With only 120 total students, one would expect about two or three to fall above IQ 130. Even a more generous cut score would probably only net fewer than a dozen students. Once you throw in a second measure, the expected number of qualifying students plummets even further. With achievement at the 99th %ile, she is one of (statistically) 1.2 students in the grade at that level, if your district is representative of the national norm group. So it's hardly surprising that the district can't find enough students to form a cohort.

That being said, it might make more sense to focus advocacy on individualized educational supports, either in the classroom (curriculum compacting, test-out, differentiated texts, etc.), or through other approaches, such as single subject acceleration (cross-grading) in her area of greatest strength.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM