Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    How would you approach these for a homeschool kid who is already doing a standard text (alg 2/ precalc) and EMF? We only have access to AMC 10, so she won't be doing a lot of contests, but she does enjoy that one.

Do you just start and the beginning or dip in kind of where ever?

Thanks!

R
    R
    I believe the reference is to AOPS Vol 1 and Vol 2. My son went through both books by starting at the beginning and working his way through.

B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Yes the books for 1&2. I'm trying decide to if we want to add the books or just keep tackling the C problems in the Dolciani Algebra 2 book and the Elements in Mathematics Foundations courses.

Thanks for the feedback.

B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Also, can anyone compare the Problem Solving books to the Intro to Algebra book? The Problem Solving books seem less verbose.

P
    P
    The Intro to Algebra (and other course books) feel more structured and systematic. They work their way through large topics on step at a time, and include all the teaching you'd need to understand the material.

We found the AoPS V1&2 a bit more scattershot. They're full of interesting material, but they are the first books Rusczyk wrote, and they can feel like a bit of a brain dump of his lifetime of math contest experience. There's lots of good stuff in the there, but the complexity, level of challenge, and assumed prior knowledge can jump around quite a bit. It can be a fun place to randomly hop in and out of for practice and fun, especially if you are getting the basic teaching elsewhere, and just want more practice/ challenge. They weren't really designed to be a coherent and linear course in the same way all the other books are.

As for verbose - - - well, the Algebra et al does contain a lot more background and explanation, as they tend to start everything from first principles and assume less prior knowledge. We also found them a lot easier to read (far more whitespace, better layout, less dense text and a lot more visual, diagrams, etc - more show, less tell). In comparison, V1&2 are more efficient, but my DS - who is very visual and not so good with words - found them a bit of an unappealing wall of dense text.

The course books worked a lot better for us, because we were using them as our primary and first teaching of the material (not supplementary to stuff he was learning elsewhere). With the Algebra and other course books, we have found the layout makes it really easy to jump over pieces he knows how to do and focus on the ones where he needs more info. While the text does takes up a ton of space in the book, there is not a lot of text that is independent of a specific problem being solved, so it's really easy to see which text you need and which you don't. The format of each chapter tends to be: very brief intro to a concept, example worked through, handful of problems worked through together to explore a bunch of related concepts, then the actual section problems, then the end of section problems, and challenges. Each of these parts looks different (font/ color/ boxes, etc) and are easy to see. So we've found it really easy to navigate when we're going back to concepts he knows, scanning through the sections/ problems to confirm "can do it; can do it; can - whoa, wait a sec, what do you do with that one? Let me think about this a sec...." For us, it's been really easy to hone in on the text we need and gloss over that which we don't.

B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Problem Solving 1 book. It seems to be a good source of geometry problems, which I would like to have.

We have the Intro to Algebra book, which dd has claimed to dislike in the past. She saw it on my desk earlier this week and seemed happy to see it. Flipping through, there are definitely some sections I think she would benefit from going through.

thanks

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM