Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #244277 11/07/18 09:11 AM
    A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

Hi,
    I�m new to the forum. My DS is 13 years old, he recently got into JHU SET and we are waiting for his DYS results. Professor from SET recommended him to apply for a magnet high school in our area that ranked top nationally. It is hard to get into this school, not only do they have several tests to get in, they also look at the GPA, etc.

Our dilemma is that our DS has always been strong in reading and English, and that is how he got into SET. But he recently only got B+ in his English, which puzzled me. With his English, he is unlikely to get into the magnet high school. Private school is expensive and there are not many good choices either in our area. I�m wondering what went wrong with his English. Is it that his ADHD finally starts to get in the way of studying, if so, why he scores so high in his other tests? Does anyone have similar experience? Should I contact his English teacher or counselor? The middle school is an ok school, certain teacher doesn�t even respond to email inquiries.

N
    N
    I'm not trying to be offensive but what is your sons take on all this? Does he want to go to the magnet school? Just my opinion but junior high is about the time students advocate for themselves. That's why you may not be getting responses from certain teachers.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Our experience with an HG+ kid is that doing well in 6-12 is more about executive function than it is about cognitive ability, and possibly it is all about executive function.

A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    He thinks it is great if he can get in, but if not, he's fine with local high school as well. For some skills (e.g. self advocate, social, etc.) some people are born with it, some needs to be trained a few times, some takes years to learn. My DS is the last type.

Kai #244288 11/08/18 11:57 AM
    A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you Kai. Could you please elaborate a little bit?

A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    a quick update:
    I got the email response from the teacher, and we got on the phone to talk about my DS yesterday. Quite surprisingly, she thinks DS is doing pretty well at school, both academically and socially. The B+ I saw hasn't included many other scores yet so it is the preliminary.

I'm happy that I had the chance to talk to the teacher. I'm especially happy with her comments about his social skill, which has been always falling behind his peers.

A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

My DS did send emails. Some teacher responded right away but some never replied. So it really depends on which teacher he contacted.
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    I'm not trying to be offensive but what is your sons take on all this? Does he want to go to the magnet school? Just my opinion but junior high is about the time students advocate for themselves. That's why you may not be getting responses from certain teachers.

Kai #244301 11/12/18 10:06 AM
    A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi Kai, thanks for your reply. Can you please elaborate on why you think it is all about the executive function for kids 6-12.

Can you please share your experiences?

I am desperately trying to find some advices and I often struggle with which area we should put more focus on for our DS. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Kai
    Our experience with an HG+ kid is that doing well in 6-12 is more about executive function than it is about cognitive ability, and possibly it is all about executive function.

A
    ASVA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you nicoledad. We did ask our DS to send emails, some replied and some didn't. I guess it really depends on which teacher...

Originally Posted by nicoledad

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ASVA
    Our dilemma is that our DS has always been strong in reading and English, and that is how he got into SET. But he recently only got B+ in his English, which puzzled me. With his English, he is unlikely to get into the magnet high school. ... I’m wondering what went wrong with his English. Is it that his ADHD finally starts to get in the way of studying, if so, why he scores so high in his other tests?

I'm not convinced that a B+ is a bad grade. It sounds like a pretty good grade to me. Honestly, if a B+ will keep someone out of a magnet high school, would a student really want to go there? That kind of emphasis is a way to create fear of failure and burnout in a child.

Children have to make their own way, and getting all As isn't necessary for success. There are many good colleges, and again, students don't have to have all As to get in or succeed.

Now, this is all my opinion, and I think it's very important to involve the student in the decision. At 13, he's old enough to have a lot of say in the decision. So where does your son want to go to high school? What does he say?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM