Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    Pdxgft Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    We are thinking about a move to find a better learning environment for my middle schooler. We feel like our options are limited where we currently reside. Are you at a school where your child is thriving? What is it about the school that makes this possible? An ideal place would have small classes, a reasonable amount of homework that allows time for extracurriculars and for just being a kid, challenging classes, and a socially inclusive community. Many thanks.

P
    P
    We are beyond in love with Fusion Academy, a chain of schools that offer 1-1 classes in a sensory friendly environment. My complex 2e kiddo gets exactly what she needs. Exactly. It is designed for all homework to be done during the school day in their "homework cafe". They have 50 or so locations so lots of options if you are thinking of relocating.

https://www.fusionacademy.com/

Feel free to pm if you want more info on our experience. I really can't say enough good things about it.

S
    S
    We started at The Schilling School for Gifted Children in Cincinnati when my older son was in 7th and younger in 3th. They are now in 9th and 5th. My children had never been in the same school setting before because they are *very* different--to the point that I had serious doubts about whether their needs could be met in the same school. It has been beyond the "best case scenario" that I could have imagined and has radically changed the trajectory of my older son's life. I'd be happy to share more specifics if you'd like. It is a very small school with a culture of acceptance that goes beyond anything I've ever seen. A lot of individualization happens in the classroom. It's the only non-college option where my older son will remain challenged through his high school years.

https://www.schillingschool.org/

A
    A
    Boy, we must be living in a very special place (Charlotte, NC) because I've not seen so many 'gifted' schools in one area ever. My daughter is loving her private school : http://www.woodlawnschool.net/aurora/index.php (If anyone has kept up with the Spanish teacher murdered in Mexico last week, he taught here)

We also have Metrolina Scholars Academy (for highly gifted) that everyone who attends seems to love. We had a seat and were so tempted, but she just loves her teachers so much where she is. Charlotte-Mecklenburg has two different programs within our public schools (Horizons and IB ),and then there's a plethora of other private and charter schools. Must be a vein of concerned parents of gifted kids around here. Generally speaking though. Mecklenburg schools are just so-so for the general population. I think Charlotte was ranked really low for upward career growth which kind of follows suit in that we must have a strong stratification. For better or worse.

P
    P
    Love the fusion website - you can actually find answers to your questions. We don't anything like that here - there are not enough people who could afford it to make it viable.

R
    R
    If you are in NC, it is hard to beat NCSSM for 11th/12th grade students. Not for everyone and admissions can be tough but great option. In 2021 they will double the size of the student body by adding a new campus in Morganton.

The best part about Metrolina is the cohort. The school itself does not really offer that much based on our experience, but it is better than most of the area schools. Agree that Horizons is an excellent program.

The Raleigh area is a bit stronger than Charlotte from what I have seen in many academic competitions.

A
    A
    It will depend on your child’s age, interests and strengths.

For my DS7, we’ve had reasonable success this year in a Montessori elementary that runs about a year ahead of local standards. DS telescoped grades 1/2 last year and is in 3rd at his current school, working on grade 4-5 material. The school is strong on language arts, math, and social sciences, but weak in natural sciences, which we supplement at home. DS isn’t strongly challenged (he’d probably be academically well placed in 6th grade, save exec function that is still very much 7/8), but is at least engaged and interested, and I think this is the best institutional balance we’ll find currently in our area.

Several of his classmates are gifted or grade skipped, so he’s well placed socially, too. The school, although it technically covers up to grade 6, has teachers trained to instruct up to grade 9. The structure of the classes is open-ended and project based, so students can stretch themselves, so the principal and staff say. In the trenches, I see flexibility, but not enough.

I see him doing well because the classes are large and mixed age, with plenty of ippprrunities for leadership and friendship. The sports program is solid and recreationally focuses, so there is a pleasant lack of pressure and an emphasis on sportsmanship and fun.

My prediction is that next year, as a young 4th grader in a 4-6 class, he’ll be able to stretch. However, I’m somewhat skeptic am beyond that...

Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    W
    W
    wherever you go, I suggest peer group. Whatever the labels, see what the requirements are to get in. The pace will be determined by the level of the group.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM