Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Mia #24480 08/30/08 03:22 PM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Mia
    There are ways to do that without negating the very valid concerns of parents wondering if their kid *is* gifted. 1 in 20 (or 1 in 50 or however you want to define it) is still quite a few.

I agree completely. With the circulation of this magazine of over 2 million, there are around 100,000 gifted kids whose families get the magazine! That seems like a lot of your market to ignore!

Last edited by acs; 08/30/08 03:26 PM.
    acs #24481 08/30/08 03:28 PM
    It's a good point to make in the rebuttal article, too! grin

Kriston
    Kriston #24484 08/30/08 04:36 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, ok! We're going out to dinner, but maybe I'll do it tonight. cool

Last edited by Mia; 08/30/08 04:37 PM. Reason: I tried a tongue-sticking-out smiley, but there isn't one! Ahh!

Mia
    CFK #24488 08/30/08 05:48 PM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by LMom
    You see to me PG kid who doesn't go to college at 10 doesn't have to be any less gifted than PG kid who does so.

Not that I'm a huge follower of Ruf, but I think that would be the difference between her level 4's and level 5's. A lot of the test scores between those two groups are the same, it's the drive and need to further the learning that puts the Level 5's in a separate group from the 4's.

I am following you, here. There is an intensity and a drive to learn that the 5's have that I think does mean that college is an appropriate place for some of them. But not every subject is best learned in college.

I know level 5 people who didn't go to college early. They were interested in subjects that they were able to self-teach so they read voraciously, or they followed their parents or friends in their labs or field work or they built amazing things in their dad's shop. They went on foreign exchange programs and became fluent in other languages. I think what I have trouble with is the suggestion that college is the only place where level 5 kids can learn at the level they crave. The whole world can a great place to learn and only some things are best learned at college.

Last edited by acs; 08/30/08 05:50 PM.
    acs #24489 08/30/08 06:06 PM
    Me, too!

College is one source, but it's not the only source for the education that level 5s crave. Especially for the younger kids, one-on-ones with mentors in their area of speciality/greatest interest may actually allow them to advance *further* and do it more appropriately for them than full-on college. Individualized study comes in many other forms, too, and I think all those avenues should/will probably be explored my most families of PG kids, within the constraints of time and budget.

Frankly, I personally think of full-time college at a very young age as the option of last resort for our DS. It's a scary thought for me to even consider sending a pre-pubescent kid to college, and I wouldn't go that route unless it was the only thing we hadn't tried. Granted, not everyone thinks like I do...but a lot of people do! And people often find other ways to give their kids the intellectual stimulation they need without full-time college.

The higher the LOG, the MORE flexible I think parents have to be in their thinking. Limiting the solutions available to full-time college alone for level 5s (or else you must not be a level 5...) seems very narrow to me.

Kriston
    Kriston #24492 08/30/08 07:00 PM
    acs Offline
    One of my worries about sending a young kid to full time college is the tendency for a kid to get locked into a field or career too soon. Colleges have requirements and limited selections of majors so a child might not be able to explore a variety of options. It seems to me like taking classes at college would be freeing but full-time degree-seeking enrollment might put a kid too soon on a career path. Certainly fine for some kids, but maybe too limiting for others.

acs #24493 08/30/08 07:07 PM
    I hadn't even considered that problem. Good point!

I was mostly thinking about the many potential safety and social issues that a child might have problems with on campus. Narrowing career options is another concern to add to the list...It's certainly an option that would require some serious risk vs. reward thinking.

Like you, though, acs, I'm glad it's an option. More options are better than fewer!

Kriston
    Dottie #24593 09/01/08 10:18 AM
    L
    L
    Kriston and acs,
    I like your take on early college. There a plenty of other options available (dual enrollment, working in a lab, mentorships, self-study...) that don't lock a kid into a career so early. Self-study and working with those in fields of interest helped me to settle on a field without worrying about switching majors. However, college earlier (maybe 14 or 15) may work for some kids who already know what they want to do, especially as graduate or medical school after college adds several extra years to one's education... Options are a good thing!

LilMick #24623 09/01/08 06:54 PM
    A concentration in Math and Humanities for Early College is another option, then advanced degrees are easily obtained from this base.

Kriston #24643 09/01/08 11:47 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I hadn't even considered that problem. Good point!

I was mostly thinking about the many potential safety and social issues that a child might have problems with on campus. Narrowing career options is another concern to add to the list...It's certainly an option that would require some serious risk vs. reward thinking.

Like you, though, acs, I'm glad it's an option. More options are better than fewer!

Our eldest will probably be done with high school-level work before he'll be mature enough to go off to college. We envision encouraging him to explore many different fields of study by taking courses at a local community college. We'll also encourage internships, part-time jobs, etc. etc. (But not all at once!) Actually, we'll do this with all our kids....

I see this between-time as a type of gift (for lack of a better word) that will let them explore themselves and the world without the pressure of having to make big decisions before the optimal time comes. Obviously, if someone is totally devoted to some field, we wouldn't stand in the way.

Val

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM