Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #24420 08/29/08 09:23 PM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/08/27/gifted.kids/index.html?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Discuss.

DH found this today and emailed it to me ... clearly we've been duped! KG's on his way back to public school as we speak ... laugh

Mia
    Mia #24430 08/30/08 05:56 AM
    Well, most of the advice about parenting is good, basic advice. The premise is just dumb. The article seems like it's geared to those "stage parents" that are supposedly out there but that I've personally never seen.

I just wish that people who write articles like that had actually met an HG+ child before they sat down at the computer...

Kriston
    Kriston #24441 08/30/08 07:29 AM
    While we are being picky this morning:

"Of those, only one in 100 is considered highly gifted."
    Awesome, where are all those little HG buggers, hidden away somewhere......

The article is well meaning though........

Originally Posted by incogneato
    "Of those, only one in 100 is considered highly gifted."
    Awesome, where are all those little HG buggers, hidden away somewhere......

I think she meant 1 in 100 of 2-5% are HG. That would put it to 1:2,000 - 1:5,000 for HG way beyond 99.9%. And there are many more kids reading at 2 and academically capable going to college at 10 than 1-2 out of 1,000,000

The parenting advice is good though.

LMom
    I think the article has a lot to offer. The one thing it tends to downplay is getting an official label as 'gifted', but that's what is needed to get advanced education at the school. I'd say the majority of the people here are doing what that article advises, for instance can you fault any of this:
    In the first three years of life, all children need to feel a sense of security and attachment. Being held, being loved and having one's basic needs met are all critical for future learning.

The growing brain next needs stimulation in order to change and develop. One thing it loves: novelty. Every time your baby is exposed to new toys, words, sounds, textures, tastes, smells, faces and places, she's learning. You don't have to work overtime to make this happen; everything in everyday life is new to a baby.

By late infancy and toddlerhood, some kids do dart way ahead on milestone charts, and some don't. Whether your kid does or doesn't, experts say, all babies, toddlers and preschoolers will thrive as long as they are:

� Provided a predictable life with a reasonably ordered environment.

� Held and touched often.

� Talked to (or sung to) often.

� Read to frequently.

� Exposed to interesting experiences.

� Given many opportunities to learn through play.

Unfortunately I know some people who don't do those things but who will try to drill their child with alphabet flash cards.

W
    W
    I agree with Dottie that 2-5 kids out of 100 are advanced and 2-5 out of 10,000 are highly gifted is not insignificant. And she didn't say kids capable of going to college at 10, she said going to college at 10. I think those that really half to, because they are that far ahead and want to continue is smaller than just saying PG could go.

First, it is very valid that IQ can change before ten, but she never makes a case for why IQ testing at 4 or 5 isn't accurate.

On the contrary, there needs a case made for why special education is necessary. The Special Music School identifies "gifted" students in the musical sense in order to train great musicians and give kids that lean in that direction a real chance at a career in the arts.

Providing an education towards high achievement and opportunity allows kids of high IQs a chance to build their talents and contribute. Unfortunately, that is a hard idea to float to John Q. Public. Allowing a child that has a gift for violin a chance to solo professionally is far different than giving gifted kids a leg up so they take most of the spots at Harvard.

Ren

Wren #24453 08/30/08 08:10 AM
    Ohhhhhhh, I see now.

Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I guess my biggest problem is that it makes it sound like the parents of that 2-5% are nutty -- this article says, basically, "since most children aren't gifted, you can just forget the possibility that *yours* is."

This, for example:

True giftedness may be as rare as Einsteins and Mozarts ...

That's just not true. They just said a few paragraphs above that true giftedness occurs in 2-5% of the population. So that's really not all that rare -- 1 in 20 kids, 1 in 50 kids, whatever. Not all *that* unusual. I think it's very possible that a parent of a gifted kid could read that article and say, "Oh, I guess I am that doting mother" and discount the idea that his child may need sometime extra educationally.

There is also this quote, which doesn't make much sense to me:

Many parents of kids under 5 look to IQ tests for a number that will "prove" their child's ability. In truth, IQ testing doesn't tell you much before the school years and even then is generally considered unreliable. Why? Because "giftedness" is typically concentrated in one area and doesn't refer to overall intelligence, the focus of an IQ test.

Erm, that's why you don't just get FSIQ. It's perfectly possible to identify a gifted child before 5 who is gifted in just one area.

And then there's this:

Many parents want their kids to start kindergarten being able to read Dr. Seuss, write their names and count to 100.

But a kid who can do all that is actually going to have a harder time than his peers in school if he can't also sit still and listen, take turns, share and follow directions. Those are the real skills teachers expect kindergartners to have.

Herein lies our problem. Many of our kids *did* enter K reading Dr. Seuss, writing their names, counting to 100. And they're right -- these kids do have a problem in K, but not because they necessarily can't take turns or follow directions! This article makes it sound like all kids entering K with these skills were hot-housed. And if I were newer to the gifted scene and I read this article, I'd be much more reluctant to approach my child's school asking for accommodation -- I'd feel like my kid were destined to be a weirdo.

Of course, the parenting advice there is perfectly sound. But I think that it underscores the prevailing attitude we saw from posters in that other article -- that giftedness is either all in our heads, or it's far rarer than it really is, or that our kids don't have the right to an appropriate education and stimulation too -- even if it's not the norm for agemates.

I'd love to see a flip article about the emotional needs of gifted kids. *That* would be good journalism -- investigating both sides of the issue.

Mia
    Mia #24458 08/30/08 08:56 AM
    Maybe my school district's administration wrote the article. wink

Mia #24459 08/30/08 08:59 AM
    And if I were newer to the gifted scene and I read this article, I'd be much more reluctant to approach my child's school asking for accommodation -- I'd feel like my kid were destined to be a weirdo.
    You have a very valid concern there. Why not write a 'flip article about the emotional needs of gifted kids' and submit to the site that published this article? You understand the issues, you write well, and you got right to the point of what concerned you about this article.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM