Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #244197 10/27/18 07:06 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    After a recent parent/teacher meeting, my DS4.5's teacher told us that his fine motor skills needed work and improvement. She was concerned that his grip might be weak.

This concern arose because on tasks like coloring and cutting, he was significantly slower than the other kids in completing the tasks. She did consider the possibility that he might be too focused on doing the tasks perfectly.

Based on our own observations, there's no issue with his grip strength. However, he is slow because he is focused on being precise. When coloring, he makes sure that he stops at the line, goes back and eliminates any white spaces while systematically working left to right. Things like that take time. When we ask him to just work as fast as he can, he does but it's nowhere near as precise. On another task, he wasn't able to finish on time because he was incorporating a colored pattern into his work and it just took longer than using a single color.

We're not sure what to tell him. We want him to get the work done quickly but we don't want to tell him to sacrifice his focus on the details. Not at this age, at least. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on teaching speed without sacrificing precision and suggestions on how to present this to the teachers while still giving them time to address it on their own?

Last edited by philly103; 10/27/18 07:06 AM.
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Portia
    The attention to detail is definitely something you do not want to squash. However, completing assignments on time is a good skill to have as well. I would approach this as an appropriate timing/environment type thing. For example, in school, he may need to complete an assignment within a certain timeframe, so timing is more important than precision. However, at home, the timeframe can be removed so he can pursue the attention to detail that he wishes. Then be sure to create the timeblock needed for him to pursue the creativity outlet he seeks at home. You will also need to help him determine which choice is the appropriate choice and when. Similar to certain behavior is expected in public vs at home.

One of the problems we had with school is that all the rules and the short time frames really suffocated DS's creative juices and freedom to explore, which required hours, not 15-20 minute blocks of time. We had to work very diligently to create that space at home. I was very protective of his creativity time. We finally just started homeschooling (for many reasons, but preserving his creativity was one).

Thanks for this and the following post.

The school has been good about differentiating his work, seemingly letting him do math at his level. Letting him read the books that he selects or brings from home (although they have a content restriction based on age which I kind of understand). They ask him to show that he can perform the same tasks as the other kids 1x and if he can then he doesn't have to keep doing it along with them.

This is the first time that I've been worried. I'll take your advice and set up rules for different environments. We already do this for some things so he should transition fine. And I'll keep an eye on the rest of the curriculum to see if this problem creeps into other things.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM