Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    lsw4711 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    We recently moved to TX from PA where my son, age 9, had been subject accelerated in math since Kindergarten. He is supposed to be in 5th grade math, but the district we are in doesn't allow for subject acceleration in elementary school, even though he aced the end of fourth grade STAAR test that they gave him. He is very anxious and upset by this, and I am frustrated. Has anyone else had this happen? I have an email and phone call into someone at the district level to request a meeting to discuss a plan for him, but I haven't heard back yet.

To agitate things, he missed the required criteria score for gifted here by 4 points on the CoGAT; students need to score a 126 or above on 2/3 sections. He scores 146 (99%ile) in math, but 122 (92nd %ile in verbal) and 117 (86th %ile) in non-verbal. I am not that upset by this as it is a pullout program for 2 hours a week mainly focused on ILA. In 6th grade the only GT class that is available is ILA, and that clearly is not his strength. However, he really wanted to be in the program.

A few things worth mentioning...he has had an ASD diagnosis since he was 4, but is high functioning and requires no support. We are however working on a 504 plan because he has a bit of trouble with reading comprehension, and needs to strategies in place and documented. Previous speech and language therapist thinks he is hyperlexic as he learned to read fluently at 3.5 years old, but his comprehension is not nearly as good as his actual reading ability and fluency. I would agree wholeheartedly with that "diagnosis".

Previous formal testing results (privately done in 2017) include:
    WISC-V: Full Scale IQ 124
    WIAT-III: Mathematics Composite158 (>99.9%ile )

My question is where do I go from here? He is clearly talented in math, but I feel like this new district is holding him back in more ways than one. He has asked me if he can take a 5th grade math class online in lieu of his current class. Should I look into that? And if so, what programs would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

E
    E
    Your son sounds a lot like mine! We are lucky enough to have an AoPS Academy in town, where he takes in-person math classes on Saturdays, but I would take a look at their Beast Academy classes online.

I had success getting him into the gifted program via a petition that argued that his autism didn't allow him to demonstrate his verbal skills adequately on the CoGAT. aeh was extremely helpful for helping me find documentation for that. Here is the thread.

Good luck!

A
    A
    Hello! If you don't mind me asking, what were your son's subtest scores on the WISC-V?

C
    C
    What is the school's suggestion about how to meet his needs in math?

R
    R
    We had similar issues with DS elementary school so we supplemented with AOPS. Eventually, he studied independently during math class and attended monthly math circle meetings. The math circle was involved in competition math which he started doing.

He completed Calc BC last year in 9th and this year is doing AP Stats plus involved in a Linear Algebra research project at a local college. Each year we wonder how we will keep him challenged in math but something works out.

It was not an ideal path but it has worked for him and better than the alternative the school offered. Even if the school had more to offer, it would not have been nearly as challenging for him as what he has done.

O
    O
    I came to the point with one of my children one year where I told the teacher that my son simply wouldn't be participating in most sections of the math class and would be studying independently at that time, he would of course, be happy to take any required tests to show his grasp of the material being taught.

P
    P
    In my experience the child would then have be presented with a test the were guaranteed to fail just to make sure they didn't get a big head. In many places that would be a very risky tactic. That said if all goes according to plan my son will have a teacher next year who will allow exactly that.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Have you looked at University Interscholastic League competitions? I grew up in TX and really liked competing in UIL events when I was in school.

http://www.uiltexas.org/aplus/events

A
    A
    Originally Posted by puffin
    In my experience the child would then have be presented with a test the were guaranteed to fail just to make sure they didn't get a big head.
    In my experience, the child would have points docked off the test so that he did not get a perfect score and then, the parent would not get a big head! The points docked would be for something that would have been overlooked normally (e.g. the answer was in mixed fractions when the teacher wants to see an "improper fraction" or the answer was in inches instead of feet). When a parent asks for accommodation for a very accelerated kid, they set out to show that the child "is not all that" to the parent and the child suffers, and the parent moves the child to a different school. Story of my son's life!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by puffin
    In my experience the child would then have be presented with a test the were guaranteed to fail just to make sure they didn't get a big head.
    In my experience, the child would have points docked off the test so that he did not get a perfect score and then, the parent would not get a big head! The points docked would be for something that would have been overlooked normally (e.g. the answer was in mixed fractions when the teacher wants to see an "improper fraction" or the answer was in inches instead of feet). When a parent asks for accommodation for a very accelerated kid, they set out to show that the child "is not all that" to the parent and the child suffers, and the parent moves the child to a different school. Story of my son's life!

Depressing though isn't it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM