Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 258 of 268 1 2 256 257 258 259 260 267 268
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Nice work!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    For my own curiosity I gave DD10 the reading portion of the practice ACT found online and she not only enjoyed it and asked for more, she scored a 30 under pretty close to exam-like conditions!

I am not surprised. She reads around 100 novels a year. I kept track for a couple months and she averaged just over 100 pages a day! Her passion is books.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Lovely to hear your updates on her! Are you planning to have her take the SAT or ACT through one of the talent searches?

A
    A
    In the fall, DD12 raised her SAT score by 70 points, and so impressed her middle school teachers that in the 2nd semester she moved to the high school for 2 periods per day. She's now taking 10th grade English and the second semester of first-year Chinese (she caughtup with the class by completing an intensive continuing ed class at a community college for 3 weeks in January). She's been excited to go to school for the first time in yeeears.

P
    P
    Wahoo, Aufilia!

N
    N
    Although on small scale brag, I want to say I am proud of my kids (DD6 and DS8) playing as a team against DH and I (playing as separate teams so we had 3 trains) for Ticket to Ride. Usually DD would refuse to play a game unless she is on my team if there are more than 2 people in any game (even for UNO - she abhors losing and always attempts to team up with whoever she thinks will win), so this was a big step for her.

Even more amazing, they did not even fight or yell at each other the whole game when making decisions on their next move - and it resulted in them soundly crushing both DH and me. I did not see that coming since we only learned the rules the day before.

(and I am still a little sore about coming in last... just needed one more turn and although the kids had a stranglehold on first, at least I would have been not too far behind them in second place... so it goes smile )

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    nnn, I love your brag! These are the moments that show that you and your DH are growing loving, whole humans. Also that world domination by your kiddos is clearly imminent! smile

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I’m super proud of my kids right now. DS11 is managing multiple long range protects at school and in an extracurricular. He’s managing his time, getting things done in advance and is proud of his final product. DS8 apparently has homework every night. I didn’t know this because he finishes it, puts it in his backpack and turns it in - without me being involved!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    KJP, that is excellent!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Lovely to hear your updates on her! Are you planning to have her take the SAT or ACT through one of the talent searches?
    Thanks, aeh! You’re such a star on these boards. I’m just now looking into it and finding it overwhelming. DD already scored really well on the SCAT a few years ago and qualified for CTY (yet to use.) I think I would like her to take the ACT or SAT in 6th grade.

I gave her the reading portion of the SAT practice test and she missed the exact same number of questions. 8/40 missed on ACT and 8/52 SAT. So maybe a little better on SAT. But I did notice she was quicker on the ACT. She had to think more on the SAT. I’m a little shocked! The reading passages seem so boring and the questions tricky! I feel like I wouldn’t do much better. It is making me feel less worried about her getting nothing at her level. Doesn’t seem to matter.

I haven’t really looked at the other sections of the tests yet. I should see how she does on those. I don’t want it to be a negative experience so I’m still apprehensive.

Page 258 of 268 1 2 256 257 258 259 260 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM