Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    Pdxgft Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    So at my student’s middle school, parents meet with the student’s advisor at the begining of the school year to provide information about the student. The advisor shared her notes with me. It seems like she missed the point. She labeled him as a slow processor with high anxiety. Actually, he is a complex thinker so his output does not match the speed of how fast his brain grasps concepts. His processing speed has been tested and is normal/average. Like many kids with a high IQ, he is a perfectionist. Therefore, he spends extra time on projects and he’s not a fan of time limits. Do I correct her? What do I tell her? Seems like they could care less about his IQ (performance is what is valued). I feel like I did share this in detail at the meeting but somehow only the negative showed up in the notes. Your advice?

K
    K
    If she is sharing her notes with you, I would assume that she is trying to get them right. I think that you might want to take a step back and figure out what your goal is. What are these advisor notes used for? If you decide that it is important to correct the record for whatever reason, I would politely offer alternative wording aimed at achieving your goal.
    For example:

Thank you for sharing your notes with me. I appreciate your efforts to help the staff understand DC. If I may, I would like to offer slightly different wording that reflects my understanding of DC's challenges. Instead of stating that DC is a "slow processor," I believe that the following is more accurate: While testing has shown that DC has normal processing speed, he is a complex thinker and his output can't match the speed of how fast his brain grasps concepts. This mismatch in his abilities may result in bouts of anxiety and challenges with time management. [Any recommendations how staff could support your DC?]

If you are trying to get 504 accommodations for your student, the advisor may be trying to document your DC's challenges with verbiage that the advisor believes will allow you to obtain the desired accommodations.

A
    A
    When you say they don't care about his IQ score, are the even aware of it? Assuming they are, and they're indifferent, I'd immediately look to a different school.

No time to waste. At my daughter's last school the owner/headmaster asked us point blank, "Why did you have her tested? " I knew at that moment to start looking.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM