Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #244002 10/01/18 09:41 PM
    P
    Pdxgft Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    We are registering for the Duke program. Should we sign up for the SAT 8/9 as well (offered when you sign up)? Is there any downside? My kid has never taken a standardized test and won’t have time to prep. I am more worried about test taking skills than knowledge. Are there any repercussions if he scores poorly? Will it affect college entry? Eligibility for the Duke program in the future? Others?

C
    C
    I would also be interested in hearing peoples thoughts/experiences on the Duke program and the PSAT 8/9.

C
    C
    I don’t know the psat 8/9. I would assume it would have been fine for my son in 7th grade as far as math...he was only half way through algebra at that point he took the sat. But I assume there might have been a ceiling effect on the EBRW on the PSAT 8/9. But I don’t know that for sure

C
    C
    It certainly won't affect college entry 4-5 years from now. Colleges only look at SAT scores, and College Board discards any SAT scores before 9th grade unless you specifically request they be kept.

My DD14 took the SAT in 7th - there were many more date options and it was the only one accepted by SET. She took it in early October, so had only finished Geometry and a month into Algebra 2.

I had her take an actual sample test from College Board - full duration, break timing, etc. - and I gave her a 30 minute primer on Trig (sohcahtoa definitions and a few sample problems).

With that minimal preparation, she was fine with the test, qualified for the Grand Ceremony, etc. My assumption from being on this forum is that your kid is in the upper few percent - I'd recommend going right to the SAT.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM