Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Ok. I've done a lot more research to understand what is going on with The Mite.

One of his subtests in the VCI on the WISC IV was at the ceiling (17 on comprehension). Another was near the ceiling (16 on vocab) and the last was 15. From what I understand, the vocab and similarity subtests were both administered after a PRI subtest that involved fine motor skills. So, it is quite possible he would have been at the ceiling on all of them, but was tired or stressed from the fine motor work. The test was administered in more than one session.

So, questions

...are the results on the PRI valid if there is a fine motor disability (dyspraxia/dysgraphie)?

...is it appropriate to use the WISC IV to assess a child with dyspraxia/dysgraphia?

...is it reasonable to get The Mite assessed with a Standford Binet LM if he didn't hit the ceiling on the two other verbal subtests?

...where can we get a SBL-M done? I've called several neuropsychs. here in MN and none have access to the SBL-M

Willa Gayle
    I don't know where in MN you are, but if I could pick anywhere in the US to get my child evaluated with a SBLM type test, I would go to http://www.educationaloptions.com/contact.htm
    Dr.Deb Ruf of Educational Options in MN! She administers the SMV and has worked on how to get LM style scores from it. (To the best of my understanding)
    Good Luck
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    the most recent Stanford Binet is #5 (I think they call it SBV, actually)
    I believe Dr. Ruf was the author about how to use the SBV to get a SBLM type score.
    DS9 has had the WISC III, two years ago, and WISC IV this January, and yeah, he's got several 17 and up subtests. I hadn't thought about getting him SBLB or SBV....but Lately I've been thinking that it's a good idea, as DH doesn't really seem to get just how gifted DS is - let alone the school.

Dottie - Welcome! Introduce yourself. Are you a connecticut girl too? I know that Dee Lovecki in RI gives SBLM.

Smiles - Trinity

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Goodness! What a blessing you are Trinity! I will contact that place tomorrow.

Willa Gayle
    ((smile)) thanks Willa
    Please let me know how it turns out.

Dottie - are you on the PG Parent's list? If that doesn't help you can contact me through the moderater.
    Love and More Love
    Trinity wink

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Hi-
    I contacted Ruf. However, due to a very negative experience with the neuropsych. eval at the U, we are going to take a break from testing. Mite is getting stressed out about it. So, we plan on proceeding only after a few months.

Now we need advice on test anxiety and perfectionism. He's got it bad bad bad. He told me after the np experience, "Mom they don't give me enough time to do it right. All that hurrying just messes me up."

He hates timed tests ever since he failed dismally over and over again last fall on the math drills in school.

suggestions welcome thanks

Willa Gayle
    Dottie,

I have some advice, first send a little "hello I'm new" type email to one of the lists that has a topic you are particularly interested in, especially if you have a question about your YS. Then sit back and wait for the hurricaine to start. If that doesn't work, check with Christyn Smith to be sure you are getting the emails.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Dear Willa,
    I'm not sure about the $ end of things, but i would consider getting Dr. Ruf's printout of developmental milestones to start filling out, and you can ask Dr. Ruf to review the test results you already have, plus the sheets that you fill out and get "the first step" completed towards figuring out what is going on with your Mite.

Also, I suggest you start a new topic on perfectionism and timed tests as I know that they are big concerns for lots of gifted children.

Smiles,
    Trin

I'll off-list ya' if you try the parent's list, TE or pgclassroom. Apparently I didn't get enought time to play as a child, so I'm making up for it now - LOL!
    Smiles - trin

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Hi Trinity,
    I have a hard time figuring out when someone's posted answers to my posts. Hence the delay. Those are excellent suggestions. I'll post that now.

I contacted Ruf. It's $1000 for the testing. I just quit my job, but plan on getting another soon. As soon as I do, that's the first thing we will do.

In the meantime, we've applied to be part of the Belin Blank 2E study. Are you familiar with that?

Is there a way to set these lists to email?

Willa

Willa Gayle
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM