Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bina Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I am wondering if anyone is able to give me some suggestions on best accommodations/interventions that worked for your child-- especially writing/spelling

Last edited by bina; 09/11/18 04:50 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    For decoding/encoding, the gold standard for interventions continues to be Orton-Gillingham-based programs, such as Wilson, Barton, All About Reading/Spelling, Logic of English. (The last two are reasonably affordable scripted home programs, while the first two are typically pricier tutoring programs. Wilson and classical OG are often found in school-based interventions.)
    https://www.wilsonlanguage.com/programs/wilson-reading-system/ cumulatively about 120 minutes per week, divided into at least two sessions.
    https://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/ 20 minutes 3-5 times per week.

For fluency (in students who can decode accurately phonetically, but still read slowly and/or laboriously), I recommend HELPS, a research-based free/low-cost scripted curriculum that can easily be implemented by a motivated adult
    http://www.helpsprogram.org/ 10-12 minutes 2-3 times a week is usually enough. (cumulatively 30 minutes or less)

In younger, pre-high school-age students, I prefer to continue intervention work for ELA, but introduce accommodations and assistive technology for so-called content areas (science and social studies):
    -speech-to-text/text-to-speech/scribing/spellcheck/word prediction/autocorrect
    -oral elaboration
    -alternate assignments (e.g., create a video or slide presentation instead of a written report).

If, after years of interventions with fidelity, they continue to struggle with the same decoding/encoding/fluency skills into high school, at some point it becomes worthwhile to discuss diminishing returns, and to focus on increasing independence for using assistive technology, and self-advocacy for accommodations.

Last edited by aeh; 09/11/18 07:20 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    My youngest with a handwriting issue types anything that involves more than a few sentences. He has everything in his Google Drive and types documents, but if there is a worksheet or something that needs to be written on, it is uploaded or scanned into Google and then he types directly on the document using Read and Write. My older child doesn't have a handwriting issue, but also benefits from typing her written expression. The school interventions for writing have been a complete waste of time. The special ed staff basically have no idea how to do interventions for writing (either handwriting or written expression) and the services are basically a study hall. If anyone knows good interventions for executive functioning, please post because the schools also use the "study hall" method for that, too. I'm not sure what the actual services (or specialized instruction) are.

I
    I
    Here is a roundup of posts and resources which may be of interest... ?
    - Individual Education Plans(IEP) and 504
    - Wrightslaw: Writing Smart IEPs
    - IEP recommendations
    - possible ideas of what to include in a 504
    - Knowing one's strengths and owning one's weaknesses (hat tip to Platypus101)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM