Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #2439 04/06/07 10:23 AM
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Are you guys NPR crowd?
    For our family it is basically the only station we listen to. The other day, in the car, I turned it on but it was the middle of the program about access to street drugs in the US today and twenty years ago. I did not consider it very engaging so after a few minutes I proceeded to turn it off....and both my kids screamed from the back seat: MOM, LEAVE IT ON !!!.
    I quess you never know what will grab their attention.

What NPR programs are you most into? What about your smart kids?

Happy listening.
    Ania

Ania #2442 04/07/07 02:27 PM
    acs Offline
    When he was 4, DS's favorite show was Marketplace and he would have a fit if I turned it off. Recently, our NPR station has added "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" which we are all really happy with and listen to together every saturday morning. And he likes "Prairie Home Companion" especially the annual Joke show.

My husband and I love NPR news, but my DS11 is very sensitive to the injustice in the world and he finds it really hard to hear about how many people have died in the middle east on a given day--and all the suffering in the world in general that he can't do anything about--so we rarely have it on when he is around. I remember on Sept 11, when he had just turned 6, he came into the room where I was watching events unfold on TV and he said, "I know it's important to know about, but do we really have to SEE it?" and I realized he was right, it was more information than he could emotionally process. We turned off the TV that day and haven't had it on since. I get my news from NPR while I'm commuting without him. DS does follow the news, but he skims the articles in the paper, that seems to be less distressing to him.

acs #2443 04/08/07 05:04 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Yes, we Love NPR. Actually, it's basically my husband and me who love it (news, car talk, fiona ritchie, freshair--you name it). The kids listen as well when we're in the car together but it's not something they specifically request.
    Cym

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM