Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243491 08/13/18 08:47 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Hello,

I am curious if anyone recommends any specific outside-of-school resources in the Boston Metro area?

I'm thinking about things like book clubs, science classes, math groups, orienteering, family activities, etc. I'm looking for spaces where kids can find friends who are also really excited about learning and where they can be engaged in learning at a level appropriate to where they are (not necessarily grouped by age).

TIA for your ideas!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

I'd start with museums (science, aquaria, zoos, art, history, children's), many college-associated afterschool, weekend, or summer programs, 4H, Lego robotics clubs, afterschool programs that participate in Kangaroo Math, etc. (for some of these, search the national/international organization, and then locations near you). Museums often have children's programming, sometimes associated with homeschoolers. Your local library almost certainly has book clubs. You can also try bookstores.

Your region is highly likely to have some math afterschool tutoring places (Russian Math-type places), but those may or may not be populated with enthusiastic learners, rather than parent-driven high-achievers.

Did you have a rough age group/level in mind?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Library? https://bpl.bibliocommons.com/events/search/index
    My local library isn't too picky about age limits (except with Lego apparently) so you can sort of make your own decision about level appropriate.

A
    A
    If you like books check out the Boston Athenaeum. The architecture alone is worth a trip. You can visit the first floor if you're not a member.

A
    A
    I wouldn't mind a gathering of gifted adults in Boston.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you all!

We are members of the local museums, and love them. They are great for exploring interests at your own pace. I guess what I'm looking for are other early elementary kids who would be similarly enthusiastic about learning, and programming that would be engaging. I found a local science class that we are going to try this year. There are plenty of Russian math-type organizations (I think I can walk to 3!), but I'm not convinced that's the right fit right now.

Thank you mckinley for linking to the BPL. Our local library doesn't have too much by way of kids programming for elementary aged children, but I hadn't considered BPL! We went to a trivia event and had a fantastic time! As you suggested they were flexible about age limits. We'll definitely be back.

acgoldis - we've been to the Boston Athenaeum during one of their open houses! It's beautiful, and a really peaceful space.

Thank you again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM