Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    What sort of school accommodations are reasonable to support children with ASD ADHD? I posted last week about possible teasing issues and real friend making issues with DS9. After a meeting with his teacher, I have realised that we don't really have any accommodations for ASD or ADHD in place with the school. Last year he had a teacher that really got him, and things seemed to go smoothly. His organisation is a huge issue. He leaves a trail of stuff behind him every day, and cant find his homework books half the time. He is struggling socially, but his teacher reckons he is personable and interesting and should do better with friendships if he just puts a bit more effort into it. So I think the practical implications of ASD might need to be more explicitly outlined and perhaps some sort of specific social scaffolds put in place. I am just not really sure what kind of things are realistic or would be helpful. I know there are as many answers as there are children, and it is an individual matter. But if anyone could just give me some general ideas about the kinds of things schools can do or what has been helpful, it might give me some ideas when we organise another meeting. Or any questions you can ask me to help me get clear on exactly what my son's main areas of need are.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Oh also technology is a big issue. Apparently DS has started to play a lot of games on his computer during class when they are supposed to be doing other things. He definitely has difficulty regulating his screen use himself. We limit him at home to set times on Fri, Sat, Sun, but has anyone needed or come across any helpful scaffolds to help with computer distraction during school? honestly, I know kids need to learn computer skills, but I much preferred it when he did not have a school laptop!

M
    M
    Are the games installed on the machine or are they on the web? If they're on the machine, you may be able to use an app like Saent https://www.saent.com/ to set rules and make class time focused. If they're online, then you can use a browser extension like Leechblock http://www.proginosko.com/leechblock/ to set time limits on certain sites.

In terms of organization, would the school let you have a extra set of books so there is always a set at school and at home?

I
    I
    This old post has a roundup of sources offering lists of ideas for possible accommodations.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you indigo! We do not have a 504s here so I didnt think to search that term! That's heaps of help.

And thanks for the suggestions mckinley. I will look into those programs.

C
    C
    One of the things that can help are social stories. Generally they are written down and kept in a binder so that you can review or modify as needed.

I did tended to do some social stories on the fly out loud though as needed.

Off the top of my head. Birthday party. On the drive over as a young boy my son was talking about all the fun things that he was going to do at a birthday party. I thought to myself. Omg what if this party doesn’t meet his script of a party we will have a melt down. So I started “Social story on birthday parties” out loud, on the fly version.

Going to a friend's birthday party can be fun and exciting. This is your friend’s party so he generally gets to decide the activities and order of events. Sometimes he might ask his guests what they want to do next. Sometimes he won’t. Birthday boy is the king of the day because it is his birthday. It’s okay to do events of a birthday in different order than you are used to. Generally there are certain things at a party. Food, play and presents. Sometimes food includes cake. Sometimes the birthday boy doesn’t like cake. Polite guests thank the host for whatever food is offered. It is okay to want cake but not to express that out loud. Wait for something to be offered unless it is needing to usie the bathroom, then ask for directions.

Remember it is your friend’s birthday, he gets to choose. Same goes for other birthday traditions like hats, decorations, goody bags, bouncy houses. Some parties have them some don’t. You can have fun at a party no matter what is planned. Know that at your party you can have the things you want. Don’t tell the kids or adults that you can have what you want at your party. Just know that in your head. Have fun at the birthday party playing and talking with your friends.

Basically a social story sets up a social situation and the expectations and then breaks it down into the exceptions and what to do. Lots of generally this happens but sometimes this happens and that’s okay and how to handle it. Every child’s social stories will look different because each child has difficulty in different areas. At the time my son liked all birthday parties to look exactly the same. Routine was predictable and safe to him. With the quick car social story, he did fine at the party. And they had cake and hats but no bouncy house. And that was okay! You can write these for playground situations, classroom, any social situation. The kid can read and review them as needed.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM