Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    st pauli girl #244507 12/17/18 05:32 PM
    C
    C
    Hey there! I guess I would just ask the school. At our school, the sophomores are invited to sit for the PSAT too, and they all just take the regular PSAT, same as the juniors.

To be honest, I don’t understand the rationale for offering different levels of the PSAT at all, but maybe someone else here can shed some light. It sounds like a marketing ploy to me.

greenlotus #244509 12/17/18 08:17 PM
    F
    F
    PSAT 8/9 is used by our district for class placement freshman year.

Quantum2003 #244528 12/20/18 05:20 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    In order to lower the ceiling even more, the PSAT 8/9 maxes out at 1440 (720M/720RW) while the PSAT/NMSQT maxes out at 1520 (760M/760RW) as compared to the SAT max of 1600. This actually makes it harder for 99+ percentile kids to score in the 99+ percentile because when you lower the ceiling, many more students hit it and careless errors and luck of the draw become a factor. If DC's talent search SAT scores are already in the 1500 range, then it is impossible to reach that score on the PSAT 8/9 and a potential toss-up whether you will on the PSAT/NMSQT. I mentioned luck of the draw because on an easy PSAT, a single missed problem can subtract 10 or 20 points from the maximum score (the actual PSAT 8/9 DS/DD took last fall).

We received our girls' PSAT 8/9 scores the other day, and now I better understand this "luck of the draw" and careless error situation. While they both scored in the 99 percentile they each did not get perfect scores; DD13 forgot to answer one, and DD14 misunderstood how many questions there were and had to rush through the end of the test causing her to miss 1 or 2. Just one missed question caused the score to go down 10 - 20 points mentioned by Quantum2003.

So here is my question - do kids need perfect scores to get National Merit recognition? DD13, while a DYS'er, just isn't wired to jump through the hoops to get to perfection on a test. DD14, our overachieving girl, does not need the pressure to get that perfect score.

greenlotus #244531 12/20/18 06:21 AM
    C
    C

So here is my question - do kids need perfect scores to get National Merit recognition? DD13, while a DYS'er, just isn't wired to jump through the hoops to get to perfection on a test. DD14, our overachieving girl, does not need the pressure to get that perfect score.[/quote]

This is why I’d think very carefully about planning any intensive prep for the PSAT. It does come down to whether the kids makes a couple mistakes, jIMHO. Of course, there are a lot of variables. If you live in a high cutoff state or are international, there is even less margin for error.

And then it also depends on the college board- this recent sitting of the PSAT had some controversy. There is an alternate test date, so there are actually two forms of the exam given. Apparently the alternate test was ridiculously easy, so the resulting curve was brutal, meaning that missing one or two questions was enough to really tank the total score; you can read more about it on the compass prep site (there is an informative blog there by someone named Art Sawyer)-
    Compassprep.com

Personally, our kids would not have tolerated prep for this, and I would not have pushed it at all, but that is easy for me to say, when we were not looking at schools which provide NMF scholarships. As far as college admissions, I truly believe that they care more about actual SAT scores- perhaps they agree that placing so much weight on one exam, and not a particularly challenging one, is kind of silly. I guess the main benefit we saw was lots of targeted college junk mail, if you consider that a benefit.

st pauli girl #244533 12/20/18 07:33 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I finally remembered my password here! Hallo old friends! I have a question. How do you know if you are taking PSAT10 or PSAT11? Just curious, as it probably doesn't matter much. My 10th-grade son's school offers PSAT for 11th graders, but they said if they had room, 10th graders could come and take the test, so I thought he was taking the same test as the 11th graders?

If you have a college board account it should have all the info. If you don't have an account sign up My sophomore son took the 8/9 last year and the PSAT/NMSQT this year.
    That is what it is listed as on Collegeboard.

ETA: He also took the SAT last year (freshman) and will be taking 2 AP exams this year along with 2 SAT single subjects this year.

Last edited by mecreature; 12/20/18 03:31 PM.
    greenlotus #244537 12/20/18 01:07 PM
    N
    N
    Mine took the 8/9 freshman year, the PSAT 10 sophomore year and the PSAT 10 NMSQT junior year. No one takes just the PSAT junior year at our school junior year. All juniors take the SAT in April.

greenlotus #244540 12/20/18 04:01 PM
    R
    R
    DS is a sophomore and took the SAT in August for an upcoming residential school application. He prepared over the summer for the SAT and did well. It was only $10 to take the PSAT and since he had already prepared for the SAT he did not need to prepare again.

His scores were pretty similar although he actually did slightly better on the PSAT, 1500. Hopefully he can repeat it next year.

He used Khan Academy for his prep and it worked out very well.

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    OMG blast from the past! St pauli girl ... welcome back!

Thanks! And...I immediately forgot my log in after posting, haha.

mecreature #244639 01/11/19 02:23 PM
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    If you have a college board account it should have all the info. If you don't have an account sign up My sophomore son took the 8/9 last year and the PSAT/NMSQT this year.
    That is what it is listed as on Collegeboard.

ETA: He also took the SAT last year (freshman) and will be taking 2 AP exams this year along with 2 SAT single subjects this year.

Thanks! It says PSA/NMSQT on the college board site, so I guess I have my answer. laugh I guess my kiddo could also be taking a 4 AP exams this year since he's taking 4 AP classes?

greenlotus #244640 01/11/19 03:34 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    PSAT 10 and PSAT/NMSQT are exactly the same, except the 10 is taken in spring of 10th grade (and has percentiles accordingly), and the NMSQT is taken in fall of 10th or 11th grade (and has norms accordingly). If you take it in the fall, it is the NMSQT by definition, regardless of nominal grade. There are norms for nationally representative 10th-, and 11th-graders, and taken from actual test-takers.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboa...ing-the-tests/compare-psat-nmsqt-psat-10

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat-nmsqt-understanding-scores.pdf

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM