Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    vicbee #97490 03/21/11 09:15 PM
    V
    vicbee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I'm going in circles searching the web for someone in the Bay Area to administer the SB5 test to my son. Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks... merci!

vicbee #97672 03/23/11 08:26 PM
    C
    C
    Here is a list of psychologists in Santa Clara County that I found from the Lyceum organization. They are not endorsed by Lyceum, but it may give you a place to start:
    https://www.lyceum-online.com/?page_id=15
    Good luck!

Last edited by Cocopandan; 03/23/11 08:26 PM.
    vicbee #97675 03/23/11 09:21 PM
    D
    D
    This is a list of psychologists available for testing in San Mateo county.

Psychologist Phone City
    Dr. Stephen Chou 650-652-9174 Millbrae
    Dr. Sarida Paley 650-367-4996 Redwood City
    Dr. Donna Douglas Griffith 415-929-8086 San Francisco
    Dr. Elizabeth Santana
    Morrissey-Compton Educational Center
    (Also Taylor Stilwell, M.S., CAO can assist)
    650-322-5910 Palo Alto
    Children�s Health Council 650-326-5530 Stanford
    Dr. Barbara Brandt 650-941-1535 Los Altos
    Dr. Bradley Manning 650-704-1343 Los Altos
    Dr. Lin Cerles 415-665-2810 San Francisco
    Dr. Brendan Pratt 650-949-2997 Los Altos
    Dr. Rebecca Murray Metzger 650-949-2997 Los Altos

Last edited by DrinkMoreWater; 03/23/11 09:22 PM.
    vicbee #97738 03/24/11 03:33 PM
    V
    vicbee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thank you!

Last edited by vicbee; 03/25/11 09:50 PM.
    vicbee #99909 04/20/11 09:05 PM
    V
    vicbee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Hello everyone. After my initial inquiries on this board, I've gone ahead and had my 5 year old son tested using the SB5. The result came out quite uneven which leaves us more uncertain about what to do next than it did before he took the test. His NVIQ was 137 while his VIQ was "only" 117 (FSIQ 128). Per the psychologist, this can be explained by the fact that he is learning 3 languages (English, French and Chinese) although his Quantitative Reasoning (QR) is also "only" 116.
    We will be speaking with the school admin in the coming days to see if it is possible to accommodate his unique, uneven development by mixing his playful K year with a more structured 1st grade...

vicbee #102051 05/12/11 10:41 AM
    D
    DCT Offline
    D
    Would you mind sharing who you had test your son with the Stanford Binet 5? We live in Marin County and I am hoping to find someone nearby. My son is 10 years old. Thank you very much.

vicbee #174396 11/11/13 02:42 PM
    V
    vicbee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Hello everyone. Wow, it's been over 2.5 years since I last posted! I just found this link on my favorites and..here I am again. You were all very helpful and friendly...great forum at a time of some confusion with my son's path, thank you.
    Alexandre is now 7 years old. While we discussed with the French-American school having him skip 1st grade, ultimately he did go through with it because they felt he just wasn't emotionally mature enough. At the end of 1st year his teacher encouraged us to address the skipping grade issue again because she felt he would be bored in 2nd grade. The school tested his reading comprehension (5th grade level) and agreed to have him attend 3rd grade. It helped that his math skills are very good too and whizzed through 2nd grade math over the summer.
    While he is the youngest (will be 8 in April) he is one of the taller kids and doesn't seem to have adaptation issues. His scholastic level is high although we see (particularly from girls) that his creative writing isn't as well developed or even that his writing is not as well formed as other kids in his class.
    In some way the challenge has been for us parents to adjust to this new reality. We've caught ourselves a few times getting impatient with errors of attention that we were not accustomed to in the past when everything seemed super easy for him. We started pressuring him in ways we didn't even realize because we'd only known him to breeze through school work. We're now more patient and available to work with him than before. Next week will be our first teach/parents conference and, while I expect the congratulatory statements for his achievements so far, I also really hope to learn about his areas for improvements to guide me through what I can do at home... Anyway, sorry for going on and on about my son. I'm just excited to have found this website again!

Last edited by vicbee; 11/11/13 02:43 PM.
    vicbee #174435 11/12/13 02:00 AM
    P
    P
    Hi. Always nice to get an update.

vicbee #243577 08/17/18 03:33 PM
    V
    vicbee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Hello everyone, it has again been a long time since I've logged in to this board and reading this thread has brought back lots of memories. I thought I'd update you on my son's growth, if only so concerned parents can get my hindsight, particularly those parents with a single child.
    Alexandre is now 12 and just entered 8th grade in Oakland Public Schools where he has been since 6th grade. The move from a bilingual private school to a less than stellar public school was a little challenging during the first 6 months but he eventually settled in and has come to really like his environment (we parents a bit less...). While the social integration has been a fantastic adventure for him, the academic level is mediocre and our son is an A student with little effort. Being an April kid and having skipped 2nd grade, he nonetheless struggles with a lack of maturity. His lower attention span has frustrated some of his teachers who, as a whole, have told us that he is quite bright but needs focus. Ironically, when I mentioned that he is nearly a year and half younger than his peers, they all rolled their eyes in a "now I get it" moment. Our concern however is that compared to California's State average, his scores are just in the top 25%. He isn't taught what he needs to know and it shows on State tests. We supplement his school curriculum with French, piano and Kumon math classes (highly recommended if you don't know what Kumon is!). His French teacher recently gave him a sample SAT French exam on which he had a perfect score.
    Looking back at my early posts, I see that Alexandre continues to display the traits that brought me to this forum. He learns and retains very quickly, yet he doesn't show the inquisitive mind to push himself to learn more, which is probably what sets really bright kids apart. Like most parents, we compete with screens and struggle to motivate him but we are relieved that he raises to the challenges he is faced with, even if this school's are not high. Next year is high school and a whole new world awaits him because we are going to raise the bar way higher than he is used to...

vicbee #243581 08/17/18 07:53 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Hi vicbee. I wasn't on the boards the last time you posted here. Nice to meet you!

I'm curious if you've ever gone back and had your DS evaluated again, where he presented early with diverse cognitive skills, and has a consistent history of attentional and "motivational" (in quotes because almost everyone is motivated--it's just a question of what the motive is, and how one can harness it for those tasks valued by our society or personal culture) challenges, and because you are describing some possible areas of underachievement. Have you considered the possibility of a second exceptionality? (E.g., a subtle learning disability, ADHD, etc.) It is, of course, also possible (even likely), as you say, that he is simply under challenged in school, and so has no particular impetus to exert himself, but if there is an additional learning difference, it might be nice to know before he hits the new high bar in high school.

And FWIW, we also had the experience of our DC, then 2 years young for grade, being perceived as immature and distractible until teachers reminded themselves of the age gap. But in our case, that particular child really could meet most of the diagnostic criteria for ADHD, with the critical exception of impairments in actual function. (No formal diagnosis, but this is my field, and I can tick off the relevant symptoms.) The age difference seems to have resulted in teachers giving more allowance than was perhaps strictly justified...if your DC is in a similar situation, that works too.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM