Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243485 08/11/18 09:54 PM
    P
    Pdxgft Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Not slow, just average (which is slow compared to IQ).

What can be done? How can this be supported/improved? It is a huge source of anxiety. Tester attributes it to complex thinking. It’s really wearing on self esteem.

Are there tutors that help with this? Exercizes, programs?

C
    C
    I have a kid with over 60 points difference between processing speed and GAI, I feel your pain. The anxiety, self esteem challenges and issues at school were a big reason we tested the first time back when he was in grade 1. He was a kid that figured out REALLY young that he was "smart" and it was kind of part of his self identity. In grade one when this became more of an issue (along with what we now know is an LD in written expression) it kind of threw him for a loop.

For us, testing and awareness were key. We've talked a lot over the years, at a high level about his results and about his strengths and challenges. How there were lots of different ways of being "smart" and how some kids were "fast smart", others are "deep smart", others are "sporty/physically smart", some are combinations, etc, etc. We talked a lot about how hard work and practice is important and even the most naturally talented person can improve with practice and how you might start off as the worst at something but with practice you can improve. We try to model trying, failing and working hard to improve whenever we can.

I never found any programs or exercises to improve it and I can't say that his processing speed is any better (he's been through 2 rounds of testing with similar results) BUT he is much better at working around it and developing coping strategies to work around it. It no longer cripples him to know that other kids are likely going to shine more when time/speed is a factor. He no longer beats himself up for not being the first to raise his hand. He no longer calls himself stupid because he doesn't immediately know all of the answers and finish the test first. It has also helped that he has been in a gifted program where the teachers have a LOT of 2E kids and understand the weird combination that that brings. They get that smart doesn't always have to equal fast.

ETA - I should also add that this has made me think a lot more about the way that I think/process the world. I don't think that the apple fell far from the tree and I'm definitely one that needs to stew on things for a while. I've become a lot more willing to give myself permission to take the time I need to think rather than feeling like I need to jump in right away in meetings for example.

Last edited by chay; 08/13/18 07:11 AM.
    P
    P
    My DD - now 13 - has every possible LD and processing issue. 11 current diagnoses. I have to say the one that is the most frustrating for ME is the slow processing speed. She has had great interventions and has worked her derrière off. Dyslexia is remediated, dysgraphia has work arounds in place, she is finally clicking with the math interventions. But the slow processing speed just...is. Unlike vision therapy or OG or speech therapy there isn't something to make it better.

Interestingly it doesn't seem to bother her too much. Every camp or program when I have to fill out the parent info form I write something like - "DD is s-l-o-w at everything. She is *very* smart and understands everything. Please don't mistake her learning disabilities or slow processing speed for lack of intellect." Now that she is older most people figure out pretty quickly that she really does get it. She has also learned to stand up for herself and say something like "I understand it can be frustrating for you but I can't help it. I have slow processing speed and I move slowly. It's just who I am - I can't help it." Self awareness makes a HUGE difference.

That being said I have had to develop stores of patience I didn't think were possible. I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "Will you hurry up already" or other nonhelpful things. We have to start earlier and streamline getting ready in the morning. We have come to realize she learns best in 1-1 or nonstructured settings. She has amazing focus and work ethic and ends up learning more than other kids but she has to do it her way. Give her a room by herself and an iPad and enough time and she will shine. A full classroom with multiple worksheets to be completed in a limited time and you get nothing. Just the way she is.

I'm guessing this is not what you wanted to hear but it's our reality. And DD is doing pretty darn well with it. Different isn't bad - it's just different...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM