Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I see only older posts on this topic, so I was curious to hear from parents who have in 2017 or 2018 had children score in the 275-300 range on the MAPS math or 255+ on the reading for the grades 2-5 tests.

Our gifted support teacher has asked to have younger children tested in the 6+. Our principal had said he believes that the highest possible score is the same for both the 2-5 and the 6+. He's pointing to the new guidelines from NWEA to test in grade level regardless of ability.

If you respond, please be sure you know what test level your child took. Our report said this right at the top but we were given a teacher's version.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    This is the NWEA guidance on level selection:
    https://www.nwea.org/content/uploads/2017/08/MAP-Growth-Administration-Guidance-25AUG17.pdf

See also this discussion on test selection, with more nuanced recommendations from NWEA specifically regarding gifted students:
    https://community.nwea.org/docs/DOC-2842

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    F
    My ds switched to 6 plus in 4th grade with math RIT scores in the upper 250's. His reading scores were in the high 230's but they switched for bot at same time.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    So I understand that the NWEA now recommends that all children regardless of ability should not take the 6+ until they are in 6th grade. I am really curious what the top scores possible are for children who have taken the 2-5 test. I don't feel that the organization is being transparent on this because this information is not available, that I can find at least. My child, like many of yours is an outlier, so I'm used to my school admin not taking us seriously.

It seems like basic information - what are the parameters of your test?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would clarify that the NWEA recommends that students receiving 6th grade level math instruction should be assessed on the 6+. (This does not actually apply to the reading test, which has more continuity of skills and content from level to level.) It appears that there is instructionally-relevant material on the 2-5 test up to early seventh grade topics. This suggests that students whose instructional level is late sixth grade or lower will be at least somewhat adequately assessed by the 2-5 instrument, but that students whose instructional level is any part of seventh grade or higher will not. It accommodates those in fifth grade performing up to about a year ahead, but not those beyond that.

The actual change in NWEA recommendations is that schools should use the same level throughout a single school year, rather than their previous guidance, which recommended switching from the lower level to the higher level if the fall score exceeded a certain cut score. This made it quite challenging to monitor any sort of progress over the school year, due to the drop in scores typically observed when moving from a ceiling score on a lower level to a higher level test.

N
    N
    He is correct. The highest possible score is the same regardless of which grade the child took the test in. However, the 2-5 test does create some "ceiling effect" because it starts students at lower level questions and, as such, requires more "perfect test taking skills" to score significantly above grade level. In either case, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. Any score beyond 255, as you mentioned, is indicative of strong testing taking skills rather than increasing reading comprehension ability. To give you an idea, take a look at this chart comparing various reading level systems: https://resources.njgifted.org/reading_levels.html

I have more information on MAP testing here: https://resources.njgifted.org/purely-gifted/understanding-nwea-maprit-scores

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    pm'd you

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM