Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243274 07/06/18 05:19 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Hello everyone,

I recently had myself tested, and I was hoping someone here might be able to answer a couple of questions I had about my results.

Here are my results:

FSIQ: 118
    GAI: 126

VCI: 132
    Vocabulary: 17
    Information: 17
    Similarities: 12

PRI: 111
    Block Design: 12
    Matrix Reasoning: 13
    Visual Puzzles: 11

WMI: 102
    Arithmetic: 10
    Digit Span: 11

PSI: 111
    Symbol Search: 12
    Coding: 12

And here are my concerns:

1. The relatively high measures of "crystallized intelligence" as compared to the measures of "fluid intelligence," even with my poor level of education. (Dropped out at the age of 15) What might be the cause of this?

2. Given this particular discrepancy in my score, which index would be the appropriate measure of my intelligence?

3. And, I know that the cutoff for giftedness when I was in school was the 95th percentile. Do the students that make this cutoff but have a similar profile as mine typically qualify as gifted? (Of course, the process involves more than just an IQ test.)

The interpretation I received from the psychologist basically just described my results as valid.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by usergg20; 07/09/18 01:39 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

1. Of course, it is difficult to truly pinpoint the causes of any particular score after a lifetime of experiences, but generally, your scores suggest that you are high average in most areas, including abstract/fluid reasoning, both verbally and nonverbally, and processing speed. Your working memory appears within normal limits. Verbal knowledge (crystallized intelligence) often represents verbal long-term memory. It does not require extensive formal education, as the knowledge is such that you could have acquired it from reading extensively, or making yourself available to a range of experiences and knowledge, such as from watching science or history programming on television, visiting museums, or being generally inquisitive.

2. The best measure of your overall cognition remains the GAI or FSIQ, as the FSIQ includes measures of cognitive efficiency as well as reasoning, and the GAI is a broader measure of reasoning ability than any index alone. However, the VCI is likely to be a better representation of your language-related abilities, especially for contextualized (personally meaningful) language tasks.

3. Classification as GT or no has limited utility outside of the K-12 educational system. More importantly, you should recognize that you have some marked strengths in the language area, and are likely to feel most fulfilled intellectually when you are able to feed your personal quest for knowledge.

I hope you find what you need.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #243292 07/09/18 03:11 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Indeed, I believe I have found what I was looking for. Thank you for the welcome and the quick response!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM