Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    TTsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hello!

I am a behavior analyst and have encountered several ASD patients with high IQs, some language and other skills �holes� and very often extremes tantrums and aggression around flexibility. I have had succes working with them but I am always looking for more research. Is anyone aware of some prominent articles or useful books on gifted people specifically with autism?

Thanks!

C
    C
    No articles but here is what I did with my 2e child with autism and his inflexibility. Made things as predictable as possible as a baseline status quo....that allowed his fright or flight status to lower to a manageable anxiety level. Then slowly teach him how to handle life’s little unpredictabilities.

Taught him relaxation techniques and self talk.
    Taught him about how things go according to plan and not according to plan and flexiblility using social stories.
    I did a lot of talking out loud as I made mistakes and they weren’t the end of the world and fixed them or rolled with the punches.
    Taught him how to follow a schedule and how to make adjustments and plan Bs to the schedule for things like bad weather, illness, and running out of supplies.

One social story I remember is about birthday parties and I did it on the fly in the car on the way to the party. One of the best ones I ever did.

The effort put into this does pay off in the long run. He is now 18 and only if you live with him would you ever suspect that he might possibly be on the spectrum. But he was always considered mild/Aspergers.

My favorite researcher is Amy Weatherby but her area of research isn’t this. She is into diagnosing and early intervention as early as possible. I did attend summer institutes that she hosted where I learned about social stories. You can find her on line at Autism Navigator.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM