Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243209 06/30/18 12:06 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    New comer here. I have spent the last couple of days using the search feature to answer some questions and try to absorb some information. If someone might have some insight to a couple of questions I have been struggling with I would love to hear from you.

My 7 year old was given the kbit2 assessment at her school to see if she might meet the requirements for further testing for gifted program. She received a 125 score. She was then giving the RIAS-2 by school psychologist and her score from that was a 116. This indicated that she did not meet the requirements. Several parents advised me to seek outside assessment because of their negative experiences with testing with the school district. So a couple of months later we had her tested privately and the psychologist used the KABC-2 assessment. One this test her index score was 158.

I understand that not all test are exactly equal, but I am just so confused about the wide range of index scores. Maybe the random pulling from class and rushed testing at school?

Any insight and/or feedback would be great if you have it.

Thank you.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

There are many reasons children may test differently on different tests and occasions. Among them:
    1. The KBIT-2 is a screener, not a comprehensive assessment like the KABC-2. Similarly, the RIAS-2, though billed as a comprehensive, really isn't.
    2. Young children vary widely in their attention, stamina, and familiarity with the testing situation. In addition to local conditions, their rapport with examiners also has a more significant effect on performance than on that of older children.
    3. They also experience growth spurts (cognitively, in addition to physically), which may or may not line up with the moment in time at which testing occurs.

In sum, the comprehensive KABC-2 is more likely to be an accurate measure than either of the brief assessments, though the other two do provide some data to keep in mind.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM