Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243207 06/30/18 10:29 AM
    OP Offline
    We recently applied with borderline scores, but without a portfolio. We've been told we can re-apply in 6 months and plan to do so. In the mean time, we are trying to build a portfolio. My son struggles with handwriting/drawing so we don't have much along those lines to submit. We do have some testing from K and 1st that the school did. For example, his K report card for end of the year says 'reading grade equivalent of 3.1'. I also have a comment from a 1st grade report card that says 'x is working above grade level in all areas and excelling'. Is stuff like this even worth adding to a portfolio? We plan to take some videos of him discussing topics also. Any other suggestions on what we might add?

Ben's Mom #243218 07/01/18 11:41 AM
    Q
    Q
    As a second grader, your DS can participate in JHU-CTY Talent Search by taking the SCAT, a super short multiple choice math and analogies test. Although not on the Davidson list of tests, a sufficiently high score would provide an objective supplement. Double check with your school administration because in early elementary, my kids were given ability/achievement tests for internal purposes, which scores were not reported to me, but which correlated/supported later test scores. There are also some "competition" type testing in math, such as MOEMS, Kangaroo, etc. If barring handwriting your DS is otherwise an exceptional writer, you can have him type or tape him telling you what to type.

OP Offline
    Is it within my rights to ask for any and all records pertaining to my son, including any testing they've done, which I have not seen results for?

Our school is somewhat aloof and clueless when it comes to special needs/circumstances from what I hear. It's a WONDERFUL city school district, but I hear that if they don't want to service you (for whatever reason, but especially related to special needs), they'd rather kick you out and send you to the local county school.

Ben's Mom #243557 08/16/18 03:22 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Ben's Mom
    Is it within my rights to ask for any and all records pertaining to my son, including any testing they've done, which I have not seen results for?
    This link on FERPA may be of interest.

if they don't want to service you
    In general, people are [i]served[/i], things are [i]serviced[/i].

special needs
    This link on wrightslaw may be of interest.

Ben's Mom #243559 08/16/18 04:29 PM
    OP Offline
    thanks.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM