Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    lnewman Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My 6 yo son was just diagnosed with both, and we had no idea that there was even an issue before he entered Kindergarten and we started having conferences with the teacher. He has always been an exuberant, curious child who seemed wiser than his years, but we just assumed he had "quirks" and was just not interested in things that other kids his age were.

He has had a Neuropsych evaluation; I do not have the report yet (just came from the appointment and the Dr will be emailing it once she finalizes) so I do not have scores yet. I was told that he is bright and in general his scores were in the above average range.

Prior to the Neuropsych eval he was dx with ADHD by his pediatrician, about 2 months ago. An IEP meeting with his school was fruitless as he is not "struggling academically"; he scored in the 99th percentile in the STAR early literacy exams he has taken. They have made accomodations in a 504 plan which seem to be insufficient for him, as he still relays his frustrations with schoolwork, and now in his relations with peers as well (he has been called weird, among other things) and as this is a school district that is Title 1 so I'm not even sure that there are the resources to manage a child who is gifted AND has ASD as well as ADHD.

Is there anyone here with a dual-diagnosed (thrice exceptional?) child? What kind of treatment has worked for them? What school situation works best? Our Neuropsych recommended a non-stimulant med in conjunction with ABA and social skills therapy in addition to the occupational therapy he is already doing.

I
    I
    Welcome! smile

It appears as though you signed up a few months ago but this is your first post. You may have been reading the forum for awhile and may already know the following:

For new members, the first several posts are held for moderation, to help prevent spambots. Unfortunately this means that sometimes a new member's first few critical posts may go unnoticed... by the time they are approved, they may have rolled off the "Recent Posts" list. Fortunately they can still be found by clicking on "Active Topics", then selecting "Unanswered Posts".

At times the forum may be less active and members may not get answers they are hoping for. Read all you can about ASD, ADHD, IEP, 504. Some of the following resources may be helpful:
    - wrightslaw
    - Understood.org
    - Davidson Guidebooks - including new Guidebook: 2e
    - SENG video: The Misdiagnosis of Gifted Children
    - book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults
    - old post with link to article comparing gifted characteristics and ASD characteristics
    - post with checklist comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to BananaGirl)
    - post with link to Gifted Resource Center of New England (GRCNE) article comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to Nolepharm)
    - roundup on Individual Education Plans(IEP) and 504
    - Wrightslaw: Writing Smart IEPs
    - IEP recommendations
    - possible ideas of what to include in a 504
    - Knowing one's strengths and owning one's weaknesses (hat tip to Platypus101)
    - books for kids, to help them understand their learning disabilities
    - roundup of advocacy resources and threads

Originally Posted by lnewman
    Title 1 so I'm not even sure that there are the resources to manage a child who is gifted AND has ASD as well as ADHD.
    It is my understanding that US law requires providing remediation/accommodation for disability.
    - Wrightslaw page on Autism
    - Wrightslaw page on ADD/ADHD

C
    C
    Hello lnewman. Yes, I have a DD8 who is a DYS and is also multi-exceptional with severe, combined ADHD, ASD and dysgraphia. We also didn’t really know most of this until first grade.
    First, let me acknowledge the challenge and the struggle. It is huge and unrelenting. Please prepare yourself for continuous advocacy and support.

Second, if there is a perfect environment for these kids, we haven’t found it.

Third, we are currently on our sixth prescription medication trial and counting. This after a time of being “against” medicating. Ultimately, we realized it was in her best interest, so here we are.

We will be starting an all gifted public school this fall with an IEP and significant supports. We’ve had to fight for all of these opportunities and we expect to continue to do so as long as we believe it is the best decision for her. No one seems to be an expert on these kids, plus they are each so unique, so I’ve had to become an expert on mine.

I would recommend trying the private OT, the social skills, and finding which therapists connect with your kid and which seem to help. No one can do them all, so don’t beat yourself up about that, but stick with what works for your kid. We are currently doing hippotherapy, which she really loves. And fight with the school for pragmatic speech, counseling, OT. Your kid doesn’t have to be failing to qualify for these things, despite what they may tell you. State laws are different, but if you find a good education advocate they can help you fight for what he needs and qualifies for.

Hang in there. They really are amazing human beings. The rest of the world just doesn’t quite know what to do with them yet wink

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM