Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #243058 06/12/18 03:04 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hi,

My son took the WISC V and I was hoping for some guidance. We had an inkling that it would be in the gifted range, but his scores seem way higher than we anticipated.

These are the scores we were given :

General Ability Index - 154
    Full Scale Intellectual Quotient - 150
    Verbal Comprehension Index - 150
    Visual Spatial Index - 151
    Fluid Reasoning Index -147
    Working Memory Index - 146
    Processing Speed Index - 105

We are wondering now what would be the right option for him. He was not accepted in the Public School gifted program where we currently reside, but we could make a move to another district which will accept him into their full time gifted program based on his scores. We are also wondering if a private gifted school would be the most beneficial for him. It will be really expensive for us, though. Our third option is to continue where he currently is, but he is frustrated about not learning anything new. We are also open to provide him with enrichment after school.

I have read and learned so much from this forum. Thank you for the wealth of information here. Any guidance/ advice is appreciated. Thank you!

I
    I
    Based on those scores, you might want to consider applying to the Davidson Young Scholars (DYS) program.

You may also wish to read up on advocacy and meeting prep, as you may need or benefit from having that knowledge base for future efforts.

Regarding your earlier posts about possibly appealing the school's decision (to not include your child in the gifted program based on the school's timed test results), what does the program consist of? Would it be a good "fit" for your child?

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by Portia
    The scores are very good. What is your DS's age?

As for schools, it really depends on the school and, more commonly, the teacher. You want fit more than anything else. Private schools have the reputation of being better, but the reality can be drastically different. Enrichment at home could help, but incorporating some enrichment in school could also help. There are those on the board who have succeeded with obtaining permission for online classes, more open-ended assignments, different book selections, etc. Hopefully they will post soon.

We chose to homeschool.

Thank you. He is 8. I wish I could home school, but I don't think it will work for us. His current school seems really rigid with curriculum and they are more focussed on getting kids up to speed. They have refused to accommodate any sort of acceleration/ enrichment.

I will look into online classes that he can work through at home, but sending him to school everyday is just an ongoing struggle now.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Based on those scores, you might want to consider applying to the Davidson Young Scholars (DYS) program.

You may also wish to read up on advocacy and meeting prep, as you may need or benefit from having that knowledge base for future efforts.

Regarding your earlier posts about possibly appealing the school's decision (to not include your child in the gifted program based on the school's timed test results), what does the program consist of? Would it be a good "fit" for your child?

Hi! I looked into DYS and it seems like a great program. I see that he needs a nominator for it. Should his teacher nominate him?

Thank you for the link to the advocacy thread. I will read through that today.

I did appeal, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. We are looking at other options now. The school's full-time gifted program is more of acceleration (4th grade curriculum in 3rd grade and so on) than a differenciated learning approach. But they also include a few hands-on activities and there is a focus on STEM, that my son would have loved. The main draw was that he would have been with other kids who he could connect with on an intellectual level and who would challenge and motivate him. He is now more of a class helper. frown

E
    E
    The nominator is not a big deal, especially if you have clearly qualifying scores - any non-family adult in his life who knows him well can do it. That could be a teacher, but it could also be a coach or a therapist or even a family friend. We used DDs occupational therapist, who wrote a fabulous letter for us.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by quietandcurious
    ...Should his teacher nominate him?
    Teachers who notice a child's giftedness can be good nominators. Those who may be focused on bringing up the kids at the bottom and do not notice how advanced other kids may be once they have "met standards", may be reluctant nominators.

If it helps in choosing a nominator, you can view the 4 questions which nominators are asked at the Checklist in Step 2 on this webpage: How to Apply

... a few hands-on activities and there is a focus on STEM, that my son would have loved. The main draw was that he would have been with other kids who he could connect with on an intellectual level and who would challenge and motivate him. He is now more of a class helper.
    This is important. As you may have read elsewhere, for continuing growth and development, kids need:
    1) appropriate academic challenge
    2) true peers
    For typical kids, these needs may be met in a general ed classroom, however for children with higher IQ/giftedness, these needs may not be met without intentional effort in providing advanced curriculum, and grouping for instruction with academic/intellectual peers.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Indigo, Thanks for all your insight. The links are also really helpful. Your point about a 'reluctant nominator' hits the nail on the head. But I don't entirely blame them. I expected him to be in the mildly gifted range, and his scores were quite shocking to me. We still keep wondering if there is a mistake of some sort in his scores, because he seems far off from our perceived notion of what highly gifted kids look like.

Thanks everyone for all the help. We have quite a few options there!

For now, we are leaning towards moving to the full time gifted program at a different School district. It may at the very least provide a more challenging curriculum and peers that he can connect with.

I
    I
    For now, we are leaning towards moving to the full time gifted program at a different School district. It may at the very least provide a more challenging curriculum and peers that he can connect with.
    This old post has some resources about evaluating/choosing a school or program.

Here's a list of Buzzwords, to help parents recognize, understand, and cut through any edu-speak marketing terms (aka BS).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM