Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    Tigerle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    DS11 is being bullied by his former best friend in his gifted program and I am at a bit off a loss in how to advise him. Sorry it’s a bit of a novel.

The other kid, let’s call him K10, skipped the last year of elementary school, where he was already young for grade, to enter the gifted track at a public college prep school for fifth grade two years ago. He is 7 months younger than DS11 (entered early himself) and at least a year younger than most of the other students. His rural elementary school appears to have a lot of issues (not teaching cursive, for instance, and DS11 spent a lot of the last two years reading the teachers‘ writings to him because he couldn’t) and appears to have counselled the kid out after third grade to get rid of a kid they couldn’t bother to properly teach or engage.

Because it was late in the year, or so his mom told me at the time, he did not take the mandatory group test, normed for grade level, but an individual test, which he apparently did very well in. My hunch is that the individual test was normed for age level, possibly in 3 months intervals even, and so he made the cutoff easily (which is intentionally generous at 120 points, though the actual IQs for the gifted classes tend to skew much higher, since parents of marginal kids tend to prefer enrolment in the regular college prep track classes), but wasn’t really ready for the skip.

DS11 tells me that, despite being made to study hard by his parents, K10 gets Cs and Ds, the occasional Fs, in tests which are curved to a C- for the whole grade level (five different college prep tracks at the school) whereas the gifted class usually averages a B, with DS11 among those who effortlessly pull As, occasionally Bs, simply by showing up. K10 apparently struggles socially, too, since he is not being taken seriously by the older boys, and often is made fun of for looking like a girl (not by DS11, who couldn’t care less!), wearing his hair shoulder length and holding it back with a silver glitter hair band. (From the neck down he is all boy, very athletic, unlike DS11, which HE makes fun of now).

All of which, I fully agree with what all of you are thinking, should be neither here nor there and not our business at all.

However it appears that K10 has now decided to turn his frustrations against his (now former) best friend. Seeking and provoking physical altercations, hiding his own stuff and taking DS11s, pushing his bed out of the room on a field trip once (seriously?!), making fun of him, trying to turn others against him (which works with some of the more socially awkward boys - DS11 himself is generally respected but not popular), whispering, pointing and laughing, the works.

DS11, who hates physical altercations, tries to engage as little as possible, avoiding him where he can, moving the bed back, taking his stuff back and so on, but that K10 will follow him around, kick him or trip him, and once he has some kind of a reaction, no matter how reasonable, will then yell at or otherwise abuse DS11, using vulgar language (“you f-ing disabled child” was a text that DS11 was really upset with).

Before I heard about those latest issues, I phoned the kids mom, who I was friendly with, to ask, vaguely and generally, how come those two former besties couldn’t get along anymore. The mom was evasive, insisting she knew her kid wasn’t an angel, but that the problem was their interests in sports and fiction diverged too much (again, seriously?) and that her own kid, struggling and having to work hard in school, couldn’t take that DS11 didn’t have to and, she claimed, was condescending about it. She also felt that DS11 was frequently standoffish and arrogant (which I recognise as DS11 being socially awkward and insecure, but I hear her on how this comes across and we are working on this all the time anyway).

So, the parents aren’t an avenue I want to pursue any further. I don’t see any point in alienating the mom by describing DS11s point of view, in particular as another source has told me that K10 was kicked off a sports team for constantly and underhandedly provoking fights and the mom was in denial about that, too.

DS11, by the way, describes the interaction in question such: that, back when they were still speaking, K10 would constantly ask him when he was planning to study for some kind of test, then, when DS11 finally broke and admitted he wasn’t planning to study at all, and when asked why not, honestly and correctly answered “because I don’t need to.” Have I mentioned he can be socially awkward, and would never come up with a socially acceptable lie?

Nor should he need to. While I do understand that K10s mom probably feels under pressure to justify the skip into the gifted program as the right decision both to herself, the kid and the school, I find I can’t muster up any patience with the idea that DS11 should be made to suffer somehow for being the kind of kid this program was created for in the first place.

(While the school also welcomes gifted underachievers and tends to work well with them, keeping them sufficiently engaged until an instinct for self preservation kicks in sometime during high school level, I do not think of K10 as an underachiever - I believe he is achieving at his level, but he is in over his head and should either switch into a regular classroom or drop down a grade. The school will not enforce anything as long as he makes at least Ds, and probably not counsel a program or grade correction either - it would be up to the parents to pull the plug).

I just do not want to get involved any further at this point. The school has responded quite well to issues with bullying on the past, and I told DS11 to speak to his homeroom teacher, explain his POV, and ask her to monitor the situation and step in if she feels it is warranted. No changes or reaction so far. When would you step in to escalate?

Last edited by Tigerle; 06/11/18 03:56 AM.
    H
    H
    My two cents: You may choose to contact the teacher and ask her to monitor the situation and contact you with more information about the schools point of view. Sometimes they can give you information about the dynamic that is more objective. However, I would leave your questions about the other boy’s giftedness out of the conversation completely.

From what you have written, it looks like the other boy has poor social skills (which is very common with boys!) and was picked on himself. The most I would say about that to a teacher is that research shows that kids who are bullied often do respond by bullying others.

Does your son have a friend or friends on his side? Is he depressed or refusing to go to school? If he has no friends at all and is starting to refuse school, then this is pretty serious and I would definitely step in. If he has friends and is okay with school, maybe it is something he can be coached to respond to himself.

S
    S
    I would have stepped in by now especially when his bed was pushed out.

At this age unfortunately, some of the kids don't know how to handle their negative experiences with school work or social interaction and some take it out on other kids. Does the school have a counselor? If so that is who I will speak to first, not the homeroom teacher, since K10's interaction with your son is not restricted to the homeroom.There is a counselor at my kids school for each grade who is very familiar with the age group and they really know how to turn the kids around.

When one of the kids started some trouble with my son and even threatened him, the counselor immediately stepped in and told me she will take care of it. I let her deal with it, my only request was that she ensure that my son never sits next to the boy in any class, since that would be a recipe for disaster. They agreed and notified all the teachers. Since then the boy has not bothered my son and my son has stayed away from him.

T
    Tigerle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you for your thoughts.

Would like to reiterate that I know it’s not in any way, shape or form my business whether K10 is the right fit for the program, and would never bring it up, just needed to have a good vent about how the kid and his family appear hell bent to make it so.

It’s so frustrating - if the kid is really lashing out primarily because he feels the social and academic fit isn’t there, there is certainly nothing DS11 or we could do about it!

Originally Posted by howdy
    Does your son have a friend or friends on his side? Is he depressed or refusing to go to school? If he has no friends at all and is starting to refuse school, then this is pretty serious and I would definitely step in. If he has friends and is okay with school, maybe it is something he can be coached to respond to himself.

The answer is not really, and beginning to. There is a number of kids he likes, but no one he is really close to, and he feels that the other kids usually ignore what K10 does or says anyway, or don’t take it seriously.
    Today, he told me that he wants to drop out of orchestra and science club, and doesn’t even want to go for ice cream with the rest of the class anymore if K10 is there, because the constant harassment is so wearing.
    Also said he didn’t want to speak to the homeroom teacher (who should be the first contact in the matter) because they have assigned student teacher counselling hours and he feels he shouldn’t approach the teacher outside of those.

Sigh. I probably need to contact the teacher after all, ask her to monitor the situation and step in if necessary.

T
    Tigerle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Just emailed the teacher, related DS11s version of things, lots of nice subjunctives and indirect speech, and asked her to monitor the situation, make her own assessment, step in if necessary. There is another field trip the day after tomorrow, and I feel better now about giving her the heads up.

Thank you all for encouraging me to do so.

Last edited by Tigerle; 06/11/18 03:45 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM